PDA

View Full Version : First seahorses - ID please

leheath
05/30/2005, 09:11 PM
I just bought my first 2 seahorses from my LFS. They are captive bred and were sold as H. kuda, but was wondering if you all agree with that ID? Also, I think they are both female, but would like confirmation.....I only have a pic of one so far, the other is hiding, but they both look the same to me....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Seahorse1b_053005_sm.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Seahorse1_053005_sm.jpg

seahorsedreams
05/31/2005, 01:19 AM
Yes, from that pic is looks likes a kuda. The Coronet it turned back and rounded. It has no nose spine that I am able to see. The snout is thick. The body is also smooth and has no spines. This horse looks young... do you know where your LFS got them? That sure is a pretty female you have there. When you get a picture of the male I would love a pic of him too! Good Luck!

DanU
05/31/2005, 06:12 AM
I agree with Renee.

Dan

Seahorsewisprer
05/31/2005, 07:01 AM
What a gorgeous fish! Congradulations! Can you see a pouch on the other one?

There is a great ID guide in our FAQ thread, from Project Seahorse.

leheath
05/31/2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks! :) I think both are female as I don't think I can't see a pouch on the other one. As for where the LFS got them - they were CB and hand picked from the LA Wholesaler, but the floor person wasn't positive which wholesaler. They deal with three - Underwater World, Quality Marine, and one he thinks is called Pacific Sea Farms (definitely not IPSF though) - does this help?

Anyway, I am very happy with them - they are both eating frozen mysis and cruising their new home, but I will definitely have to work on setting up a feeding station to reduce wastage.

I will try to post a pic of the second one tonight to confirm if it is male or female....

Seahorsewisprer
05/31/2005, 07:24 PM
If they are eating frozen, they must be CB!

leheath
06/01/2005, 01:06 AM
Yeah, they seem very healthy and are eating well. They also seem quite active and very curious about their surroundings...I have attached a few more photos! :)

Here is one about to try snicking a hermit crab! :D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Seahorse1_053105_sm.jpg

Here is the other one...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Seahorse2_053105_sm.jpg

And here is them both together...
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Seahorses_053105_sm.jpg

Finally, here is one of the whole tank....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62846Full_tank_053105_sm.jpg

insiderart
06/01/2005, 06:59 AM
Ooo they are pretty horses! Congrats.

Terri

Seahorsewisprer
06/01/2005, 07:12 AM
Sister Seahorses! They look great! Your set up looks very healthy. How do you like that salt and pepper sand? Is it a mix of caribe seas tahitian moon oolitic stuff?

leheath
06/01/2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments! The sand is actually a single type of charcoal grey sand. They sell it in largish bags at petsmart and other places specifically for saltwater tanks, however, I can't remember the name. It is definitely not the tahitian moon stuff - it has a larger grain size and is not as black (or as expensive!). I like the look, even though it looks salt & peppery as soon as any debris gets on it.

I actually have black calcium carbonate reptile sand in the 5g fuge behind the display tank, but that stuff is expensive and I actually think the grain size is a bit too small, but it seems to be working fine in the fuge....

seahorsedreams
06/01/2005, 07:43 PM
Those horses do look very very healthy. I like the one of them together.

leheath
06/01/2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks - I am glad you all agree they look healthy! I already love them to bits! :D When they are not cruising the tank, they seem to like to hang out there which is right beside the intank filter and the return from the fuge....makes me wonder if they might like more flow.....what does everyone else have in the way of flow - would a tiny powerhead be too much? I currently have the return from the fuge, and small intank filter and a sponge filter, but I am thinking of removing the sponge filter and maybe the hang on (concerned about nitrate?) and adding a small powerhead....what do you all think??

Seahorsewisprer
06/02/2005, 09:21 AM
I only have the return from my sump, but my tank is only about a foot off the ground with a pretty strong return pump so most of the tank has pretty significant water flow. On the far side, where the return directs most of the flow, 'shrooms won't open! My favorite one won't even stay there. It keeps releasing to go to the less flow side, under the return pump.

But, I've noticed my aquatic equines don't seem to care about the flow, either way. They travel everywhere, hitch where ever. Ozzy even seems to prefer sitting on the top on the tank, reallly close to the high flow return. ????

I think we should have enough flow to make the tank healthy, then the fish will thrive. And, hypoxia (Low o2) is very detrimental to all live forms......

So, more is better? My next project is going to be a surge device for the SH tank!

leheath
06/02/2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks Aerosmith. Last night I removed the sponge filter and added a AC HOB filter. It has really increased the flow but the horses seem to spend most of their time on the higher flow side of the tank, so I think it is good. One this new filter has had time to establish I will remove the other hangon/intank filter as I don't think it is really adding that much and it is taking up space.

I tend to agree that higher flow in general is better and they certainly don't seem to mind as long as I turn it off when feeding so the mysis doesn't blow all over the place!

A surge device would be really interesting....let us know how it works out.... :)

Seahorsewisprer
06/02/2005, 02:45 PM
Have you seen Calfos idea about closed loop? I think I might try that in one of my tanks, and with the seahorses being so much detritus makers.....

leheath
06/02/2005, 02:58 PM
No, do you have link?

Seahorsewisprer
06/02/2005, 05:24 PM
I think it's a sticky in his forum.....His theory is to keep detritus in suspension, thus removing it through the skimmer before it degrades. Quite a few in our reef club have tried it and it's getting rave reviews.

pledosophy
06/04/2005, 02:04 AM
thanks Areosuzy.