PDA

View Full Version : Those leaf fish...

zoltetov
05/28/2005, 07:49 AM
Hey ya'll!

I just got a beautiful mated pair of leaf fish. I have a 30g just waiting for them. I've read that the hardest thing about them is getting them to accept food that isn't ghost shrimp or guppies. (I live right next to petsmart, so I'll make shrimp runs all the time if I have to.) Right now they're in qt so I could try weening them (and i want to ensure they're eating.)

Question: I did a search and read one of the members here saying that they tended to leave the other fish alone in the tank. If all goes well (meaning weening, etc.. A lot would have to go well) how dangerous would it be if these guys went in my main display reef? The other fish I have in there are a maroon clown, which is about as big as the bigger leaf, a flame angel of the same size, and a lawnmower blenny. (I think. It's been about two days and I tend to only see him once every three.) I don't' have much in the way of inverts beyond a brittle star and various hermits that I've not wanted anymore, but figured darwinism will win out with the way they fight amongst themselves.

Anyway, just curious if putting them in the display would result in my going to sleep with 5 fish and waking up with less than 5. (Like 2.7, 4.1, etc.. :) ) No worries either way. They can always have their own nano. Just thought it would be a great compliment to the existing reef.

VolitanLioness
05/28/2005, 10:36 PM
Not sure about the lawnmower blenny but the rest will be fine, I had one in with some chromis and cardinals, mine never touched any of those.
When they settle in get some frozen silversides and try feeding them on a feeder stick, you can also try krill.

If your starting with ghost shrimp, feed the ghost shrimp some cyclopezee or some type of food that is higher in nutrition so they are healthier for your leaffish.
Very nice fish to watch and fun to have, good luck with your pair and post a pic if you can.

Kaye

ManEatingGuppy
05/29/2005, 12:26 AM
but LMB are huge, atleast compared to chormises and cardinals, what kind of leaf fish are they? i never heard of mated.... GL with the fishes

B Pierce
05/29/2005, 08:39 AM
The flame anglefish will pick at the leaf fish because the it may mistake it for something edable. I woudnt try it.

LisaD
05/29/2005, 02:34 PM
My leaf fish does not touch my mated neon goby pair or single Rainford's goby BUT I recently added two more Rainford's gobies and they have "mysteriously" disappeared, while the leaf fish belly seems suspiciously large. Not 100 percent sure he got them, but be careful of small fish you really care about...

BTW, leaf fish can coexist peacefully, as "mated" pairs or in trios.

zoltetov
05/29/2005, 10:45 PM
I'm a little concerned about the flame angel thing, but i'm leaning towards trading him in for something else. I'll try to get pics of these two asap! :) BTW! I've found a lot of info on these, but, is there anyway known that you can sex them? Thanks!

J

Deeparchae
05/30/2005, 07:15 PM
My leaf fish wolfed down a jawfish that I would have sworn was way to big to be endangered. I have a suspicion that body shape might be important in what survives and what is considered food.