PDA

View Full Version : noisy overflow?

MVrico
05/27/2005, 05:29 PM
Any recommendations for making my overflow a little more quiet?

tropoasis
05/27/2005, 05:58 PM
Scott at About the Reef in Tempe, AZ has designed a cap that fits on the overflow that makes the overflow almost quiet!

Give him a call

jeffrylie
05/28/2005, 01:07 AM
Put more sponge !

krucial
05/28/2005, 01:30 AM
Put sponge in there
>>> works great.. But you have to clean it as much as ur skimmer cup cause Nitrate builds up.

1FatBlenny
05/28/2005, 01:45 AM
Japanese mat

Badmort
05/28/2005, 01:56 AM
What type of overflow, If its a typical intank overflow that drains to a sump then do a search and look up "Durso" or Stockman"
Both are great , and take in water below water level making your overflow virtualy silent once tuned properly.
Don't put in any bioballs, foam etc.. they become a nitrate factory unless you clean them at least once a month.

Badmort
05/28/2005, 02:00 AM
I did a search and found the stockman standpipe addy...
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

Its a little more complicated than a durso standpipe but is more space efficient.

tingram
05/28/2005, 11:14 AM
Thats the one I made.. real easy to put together for a few bucks and makes it pretty quiet.

Jim13
05/28/2005, 11:26 AM
The one thing I had to do to my Durso was put the endcap on a really high extension because the air hole kept clogging with salt creep. The endcap now sits about 6 inches above the top of the tank, but hey, at least it doesn't clog any more:)

Badmort
05/28/2005, 03:24 PM
Jim
You could drill a larger hole in the cap and insert air line tubing.
Put a cheapy adjustment valve on the end and tune it. The line itself acts a muffler as well making your standpipe even quieter.

John

oosurfin
05/29/2005, 06:48 PM
if you cant fit the durso in easily you can put 2 45s at the bottom to move it more into a corner kind like this sorry for the bad ascii art but its kinda like an s check out ozreef i think there may be a picture on there

| |
| |
| |
\ \
| |

birdman204
05/30/2005, 11:15 PM
If it's a durso and the water is falling too far ( I am assuming that's the noise you are referring to) then the main bottom pipe on the unit needs to be taller. Try different lengths until the water falls silently, but still falls, yuo don't want your overflow to not be falling at all, then it defeats the purpose.

Is the noise coming from the drain pipe in the sump? If so, is the end under water? Pull it out, it will "flush" less. If it's not, try a plastic baggie around the end of the drain pipe to muffle the water splash and susequent noise.

HTH