PDA

View Full Version : 20 years for pot???

bradwent
05/27/2005, 12:49 PM
I am sitting here, after working, in Spain watching the only channel that is in english and CNN is broadcasting a lot about the Australian woman who was sentenced to 20 years in an Indonesian prison for trafficing pot. Wow!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/27/corby.appeal/index.html

EDIT: not condoning drug use, just shocked at the verdict.

DizziDezi2
05/27/2005, 12:52 PM
There is like no tolerance in the middle east- or Oklahoma

Reefmaniac1
05/27/2005, 12:52 PM
Or in the South. Rapists get less time that someone caught with pot.

Hobster
05/27/2005, 12:57 PM
Some countries its a Death Sentence. The article states it was 9 lbs ( just a tad more than personal use) but of course it was the bagage handlers that put it there.

dc
05/27/2005, 01:01 PM
It sucks to be her that's for sure. People should be aware of these kind of things in foreign countries.

Mr Neutron
05/27/2005, 01:02 PM
Apparently she never watched Midnight Express.

bradwent
05/27/2005, 01:12 PM
I think that Indonesia is missing the bigger picture. Right now, there are hundreds of Australians, or more, canceling their vacation plans for visiting Bali or other parts of Indonesia. By the end of the week, probably thousands of cancelations.

dc
05/27/2005, 01:18 PM
Or maybe they'll leave their drugs at home.

bradwent
05/27/2005, 01:23 PM
Well, from the looks of the non-biased TV coverage, Australians appear to be very PO'd at the Indonesian gov't. Some Australians were interviewed and they were saying they regret sending aid to Indonesia for the tsunami disaster.

Wilafur
05/27/2005, 01:29 PM
its illegal in that country. she tried to slip the illegal goods into the country. she got caught.......got her day in court and was sentenced.

why are folks so damn shocked?

bkiba
05/27/2005, 01:36 PM
the sentence is ridiculous, but that is the law of that land. It isn't far off from the Rockefeller laws in NY that had mandatory minimums of 15 years or so for possesion. 9lbs is a lot though, they did want to give her death! She claims the drugs were planted, obviously her argument wasn't that convincing.

Scuba Oz
05/27/2005, 03:24 PM
They should have given her the same sentence they give the rest of the people they nail, death! She played a game and lost, now she should face what has happened.

cadams
05/27/2005, 03:25 PM
i think 20 years is a bit stiff, but you have to respect an others countries laws when you visit. Singapre will jail you for spitting in public. Now thats crazy here in the US, but you gotta obey the law wherever you are. Ignorance is no excuse.

Scuba_Dave
05/27/2005, 03:47 PM
9 lbs!!! That's not personal consumption....I don't think???

galore
05/27/2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Scuba Oz
They should have given her the same sentence they give the rest of the people they nail, death! She played a game and lost, now she should face what has happened.

This is not a troll attempt but really my emotion right now:

You know, I am extremely offended by your post. Pure right wing crap. Death for this is totally insane. Yes, even if it is the law in this POS country (Indonesia). Culture of Death. Bleh!

Worrisome, that people in the USA would be ok with the death penalty (if its the law) for possession of 9lb of a banned herb (and don't think that I am a pot head - I actually never smoked that stuff nor did I ever consume an illegal drug).

hubris007
05/27/2005, 05:46 PM
That could be for personal consumption. Of course, after about 4 lbs, i begin to slurr my speach a little.

Scuba_Dave
05/27/2005, 05:49 PM
What if it is baggage handlers? One guy puts it in on one end, another guy takes it out at the destination. But if thatwere the case, why didn't they take it out? Or was it a random search/drug dog?

PUGroyale
05/27/2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Mr Neutron
Apparently she never watched Midnight Express.

or Brokedown Palace...

fuzzydwarf
05/27/2005, 08:16 PM
I am on the same page with Galore. The death penalty, in my opinion, is an evil that is beneath us as human beings, here or elsewhere, and whatever the excuse.

As to the woman in question, there is reason to believe that some exculpatory evidence was rather arbitrarily excluded by the trial judge. Anyone who doesn't admit the possibility of baggage handlers in third world countries planting things in your luggage is just incredibly naive. I am personally acquainted with the case of a woman who narrowly avoided a death sentence in Thailand when she got popped holding eight kilos of heroin, planted in her luggage by one of her husband's business associates. I know for a fact that she knew nothing about it, yet she did five years in a hellhole before her lawyer [my best friend and her brother in law]managed to get her out.

Kahuna Tuna
05/27/2005, 08:50 PM
Ahh yes Indonesia, quite possibly the most backwards nation on earth. I just read an article where an Indonesian girl is going to be the first Miss Universe participant in years and the first ever from that counrty to take part in the swimsuit competition and she has received death threats. If a big rock from space ever does hit the earth I know where I'll be rooting for it to come down.

Wilafur
05/27/2005, 08:57 PM
some of you folks are mighty ethnocentric.

each country has their own culture...so respect it. ignorance is not bliss.

Kahuna Tuna
05/27/2005, 09:05 PM
each country has their own culture...so respect it. ignorance is not bliss.

Respect for foreign cultures is one thing but calling for the death of a young woman because she dared to put on a one peice bathing suit is beyong ignorant. Screw them.

Wilafur
05/27/2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
Respect for foreign cultures is one thing but calling for the death of a young woman because she dared to put on a one peice bathing suit is beyong ignorant. Screw them. i do not see the gov't nor the majority of the citizens calling for her death.

CrystalAZ
05/27/2005, 10:31 PM
The death penalty, in my opinion, is an evil that is beneath us as human beings, here or elsewhere, and whatever the excuse.

ARGhhhhhhhhhhhHHH! Must .... resist.... making .... political posts!

Let's just say I completely disagree.

I also don't agree with death for drug running though.

I DO agree with those who say she did the crime and she is being punished. It's not like she had a joint and got caught. She was running drugs and getting caught was a risk she was obviously willing to take. So now she pays the price.

20 years is a little stiff, but she should have made a wiser choice. I feel no sympathy for her.

Crystal

galore
05/27/2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CrystalAZ
ARGhhhhhhhhhhhHHH! Must .... resist.... making .... political posts!

I DO agree with those who say she did the crime and she is being punished. It's not like she had a joint and got caught. She was running drugs and getting caught was a risk she was obviously willing to take. So now she pays the price.

20 years is a little stiff, but she should have made a wiser choice. I feel no sympathy for her.

Crystal

I don't know - I just don't trust the law enforcement enough to 'have no sympathy'. When I read about cases like that I always imagine being in a situation like her. Nowadays you can't even lock your checked bags anymore because of security searches so who knows how many people messed with her bags. I find it highly problematic to convict somebody with shaky evidence based on what was found in checked bags.
So Crystal, please tell me, what would you do, if there is some illegal drug found in your bag at the airport?

If she was caught selling the contraband - that would be another story.

And don't think I am just a paranoid loonie. Dallas, where I live, had a huge fake drug scandal, where corrupt cops planted chalk powder in hispanic immigrant's houses and arrested them for possession of cocaine. I mean if something like this is possible in the USA, I don't want to know whats possible in Indonesia.

The "do the crime, you do the time" meme is very problematic because the "do the crime" part is just not absolute.

Kahuna Tuna
05/27/2005, 11:00 PM
i do not see the gov't nor the majority of the citizens calling for her death.

You are right. I'm sure the majority would be content to see her chained to a pole and have the skin flailed off her back. :rolleyes:

As an American I guess I take freedom and rationality somewhat for granted. I suppose that does make me mighty ethnocentric, but it will be a cold day in hell before I ever visit or spend a single dollar in such an enlightened land.

BTW, just as a side note for us fishy folk is the fact that Indonesia is second only to the Phillipines in the use of cyanide in fish collection. I guess we should respect that as well huh?

dc
05/27/2005, 11:16 PM
I don't know that you have to respect the laws, but you surely shouldn't break them in such a harsh country.

galore
05/27/2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by dc
I don't know that you have to respect the laws, but you surely shouldn't break them in such a harsh country.

From the article:

"During the trial, Corby's team was buoyed by news that the Australian Federal Police and Qantas Airways were investigating the role of baggage handlers in a cocaine smuggling operation."

"Corby appeared confused after the verdict and sentence were read, but after conferring with her interpreter, reality sank in and she glared at prosecutors."

"The panel of three judges dismissed every defense witness, including testimony from Australia prisoner John Ford, who backed Corby's claim that she was an unwitting "drug mule."

"But her defense team raised concerns about the failure of police to fingerprint the plastic bag containing the drugs or to videotape the search. In addition, a request to have the marijuana tested to reveal its source was denied."

The main evidence appears to be what was found in her bags. I don't think that finding contraband in checked baggage, which went through many hands, is enough to prove the crime. Apparently thats different in Indonesia.

Just imagine, you (or your loved one) are (is) in this situation - being tried in a foreign land, not understanding the language, based on ridiculous evidence. The horror !!!

dc
05/27/2005, 11:33 PM
I have no idea if it's true or not. All crooks are innocent, and lawyers all put a good spin on it. If she is truely innocent, it is a shame.

CrystalAZ
05/27/2005, 11:36 PM
If there is concern that she didn't put the drugs there, they should definitely have an investigation into other possibilities.

I guess I should revise my previous statement to "Assuming she is guilty, I have no sympathy for her."

Crystal

galore
05/27/2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by dc
I have no idea if it's true or not. All crooks are innocent, and lawyers all put a good spin on it. If she is truely innocent, it is a shame.

Not just crooks - everybody should be deemed innocent until proven guilty. This is a core value of "western society" - in general, its tempting to say that "all crooks are (pretend to be) innocent" but doing so is already being unfairly biased against the accused. I'd rather be (and often am because of the power balance, which resource wise and very often sympathy wise is in favor of the prosecutor (unless you are a rich celebrity)) biased against the prosecution.

Apparently, in Indonesia, you _are_ guility if something is found in your bags... (going by the article).

Alevien
05/27/2005, 11:51 PM
There are too many unanswered questions to have found her guility.

Most of the Bali bombers who killed so many only got 2-5yrs, but someone who "might" have imported drugs receives 20yrs.

Justice, I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!

planktonified
05/28/2005, 12:34 AM
Going on strick fact, galore made up my mind on how i feel too.

Caught "selling" and "in your luggage" are Worlds apart.

Makes sense to me

Plank-

When im "out of town" i make sure to mind my p's and q's in EVERY area, driving, hours, everything. Smart travel i guess.

You have nill for rights in areas outside our U.S.A. Im not getting caught up in nothing.

MarkS
05/28/2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by galore
This is not a troll attempt but really my emotion right now:

You know, I am extremely offended by your post. Pure right wing crap. Death for this is totally insane. Yes, even if it is the law in this POS country (Indonesia). Culture of Death. Bleh!

He was not advocating death sentences for drug crimes. Death is the typical sentence in that part of the world for this kind of crime. She is lucky that she got off with such a light sentence. Speaking from the Indonesia Goverment's point of view, she commited a capital crime.

Thurge
05/28/2005, 04:34 AM
1) there is an onging investigation into COCAINE trafficing not pot.
2) Indonesia is a tourist Hot Spot I highly doubt they would "set up" a tourist.
3) We don't know what the prosecution's evidence is (as the article is clearly in favor of the accused).
4) There are many laws around the world that to others seem either excessive, or inaine, but when "in Rome" you have to respect them.
5) she WAS given a break, normally she would hae been sentenced to death.

And for those travelers Swiss Army makes a lock that the FAA can get into and relock; that will also tell you if it has been opened

bradwent
05/28/2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Thurge
And for those travelers Swiss Army makes a lock that the FAA can get into and relock; that will also tell you if it has been opened

I am in airports frequently and the airlines always tell you not to have locks on bags being checked. Regardless of what is allowed, and I would like to find out, I feel as though you can't have any locks on bags being checked because of what they say. The airlines do not tell you no locks except for the SA type. I just flew to Spain on Tuesday and again, it was said, no locks. I would certainly like to know if there was a lock available. But, keep in mind that it is not the FAA that searches your bag. It is the security services of the specific country. In the US it is now TSA.

Something that bothers ma a lot about this whole case, 9lbs. of pot in a boogie board bag. I do not know how much room that takes up but it sounds like it would take up a fair amount of space. Who would actually believe they could pull something like that off? Yes, there are a lot of very stupid people in this world, but a stunt like like is not just very stupid, it is INSANE. Do they not or can they not grow pot in Bali? Seems like a tropical location would be ideal for growing pot. This whole thing seems rather suspicious to me.

MiddletonMark
05/28/2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Wilafur
its illegal in that country. she tried to slip the illegal goods into the country. she got caught.......got her day in court and was sentenced.

why are folks so damn shocked?

Exactly. She was violating the law, unless you believe the conspiracy theories. And if that's the case, I've got a whole heap more of conspiracy theories you better start believing too ;)

Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
If a big rock from space ever does hit the earth I know where I'll be rooting for it to come down.
Then kiss the hobby goodbye. Without the Indonesian region, we'd be lacking most everything.

It's funny, Indonesia is one of the larger nations on earth, one of the most diverse. Yet everyone feels like it's easy to pigeonhole them and put them down as terrible people.

Esp. from folks who haven't spent lots of time there - it's a little amusing. I know I love it when someone overseas who has never been here spouts off about this country ... they're always right :rolleyes:

dc
05/28/2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by galore
Not just crooks - everybody should be deemed innocent until proven guilty. This is a core value of "western society" - in general, its tempting to say that "all crooks are (pretend to be) innocent" but doing so is already being unfairly biased against the accused. I'd rather be (and often am because of the power balance, which resource wise and very often sympathy wise is in favor of the prosecutor (unless you are a rich celebrity)) biased against the prosecution.

Apparently, in Indonesia, you _are_ guility if something is found in your bags... (going by the article).

Well she was found guilty no? It may not have been fair. I'm sure a lot of innocent people are in jail. I'm not there, I don't know the facts, relying solely on a newspaper article that may or may not be biased is all anyone has to go on. Just because it's in print doesn't make it so.

ADBtie
05/28/2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Thurge
[5) she WAS given a break, normally she would hae been sentenced to death.

Various news sources said the prosecution will seek an appeal. They want a harsher sentence.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200505/r48328_127310.jpg

bdebelius
05/28/2005, 07:35 AM
I think she was a unknowing mule. Why on earth would an austrailian try to take 9 pounds of pot to indonesia??? That alone does not make sense to me. If she had nine pounds to sell, she would probably make alot more money selling it in austrailia then in country....ok I found on the net, that her 9 pounds would be worth 50,000 on the street in austrailia, but only 10,000 in indonesia.

Well duh...shes innocent.

BrianD
05/28/2005, 07:40 AM
Footfalls.

dc
05/28/2005, 07:45 AM
http://images9.fotki.com/v163/photos/2/28482/376550/bmove-vi.gif

hubris007
05/28/2005, 07:46 AM
Man, that's a harsh sentence. Do you realize little miss beauty queen's firstborn will be just over 19 by the time she gets out of that prison?

E-A-G-L-E-S
05/28/2005, 07:51 AM
booze ya lose--with dope their's hope!!!
imho--anyone who has stated ,"well she was in their country so oh well"..i think you might feel differently if she was family/friend!!
it was just weed.....not guns or heroin or crack!!(Real Problems)

i mean come on people do we honestly believe someone should be put in jail for 20years for weed??

NOT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--i know one place i won't ever vacation to!!!!!

E-A-G-L-E-S
05/28/2005, 07:53 AM
3rd world countries........Ugghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianD
05/28/2005, 07:53 AM
The knowledge that you claim to be a high school teacher does not give me any great hope for your students.

Closed.