PDA

View Full Version : FS: brand-new Reeflo Barracuda

reefah
05/27/2005, 01:49 AM
I am selling this sequence external pump that has only been in use for 1 day. Decided it was too much flow for my sea-swirls to handle and consequently I am downgrading to the smaller capacity dart.

Already comes with union fittings.

~200 local pickup in Bellflower.

Contact me at got2boost@comcast.net for more info/offers....

BpOC
05/27/2005, 12:57 PM
you have Email :D
lmk
angel

bugsy714
05/27/2005, 01:49 PM
what's the wattage on that pump?

Morgandy
06/05/2005, 01:16 AM
Hi, my 2 3/4" sea swirls are being delivered on Monday, for our Barracuda..do you think we'll have problems because of the flow? thx!!

reefah
06/05/2005, 02:33 AM
bugsy714, the barracuda pushes 325 watts and 4500gph

avansickle, I have three 1inch sea-swirls that were plumbed with 1.5 pvc pipe to about 2ft. of each sea-swirl, where 1 inch tubing connected the pipes to each input of the swirls.

The barracuda was way over-kill, I had a ball valve at the output of the pump that had to be closed 40-50% to prevent water from splashing everwhere! And still the water coming out of the nozzles of each swirl felt like the water jets in a jacuzzi. I'm talking jets that could/will rip the tissue right off of sps corals!

I believe a dart, running at full blast (ball valve opened 100%) would be more than enough for my setup, which is why I'm downgrading. Keep in mind this pump/sea-swirl setup is used in a closed-loop, not as a sump return.

golfish
06/05/2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by avansickle
Hi, my 2 3/4" sea swirls are being delivered on Monday, for our Barracuda..do you think we'll have problems because of the flow? thx!!

I use the Barracuda on 2x1" SS and 2x3/4" straight plumb lines..I used 1.5 up to about the last 18" then reduced down to 1" for the SS and 3/4" for the straight lines...The key is to extend the output lines further down in the tank. That's what I don't like about the stock SS's, their too high..The colar fitting on the 1" SS is 1.25"..I added a 1.25" reducer to a 1.5" black coupler, then added a 1.5" black elbow (this is all black PVC pipe, not ABS) this drops the output of the SS's down about 5-6"..

http://members.aol.com/sf49er1959/reefpics/black.jpg

Morgandy
06/05/2005, 10:07 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I know they sit high, so I definately want to drop them down, so thanks for the 'how-to'. I think we're going to have to wait and see how the pressure is once in, everyone's seems to be different.

Golfish, does your Barracuda ever overheat? Ours has a continual thump, and is extremely hot to touch. I put a post in last night, but no responses yet. Could you take a look at the post and see if you have any thoughts?? I'd really appreciate it. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=605869

Reefa, is it a 40gal that you were using the barracuda for? (that's what your tank size says)..I can't imagine using this thing on a tank like that, though I know you said you went to a Dart.

reefah
06/11/2005, 05:36 PM
oh no, I used it on my 225g that I am setting up. as for extending the outputs of the SS's, I was thinking about that but never knew which fittings to get, thanks for the tip!