PDA

View Full Version : brown growth on live rock

pabalite
05/25/2005, 03:30 PM
I have a 45g SW tank with 2 fish in it and approx25 lbs of live rock. It is a new tank with the water added 2 weeks ago, rocks were added a week ago. I have a aquaclear pro 75 filter with the protein skimmer presently unplugged. I now have brown growth coming from all the rock. I was told that this is algea caused by leaving the light on to long. Being new to the hobby, I'm looking for all the help I can get.

Rock Anemone
05/25/2005, 04:00 PM
pabalite,
[welcome]

The brown algae is most likely Diatoms. This and other algaes are a normal process of the cycling period. During the cycle process, you do not need to leave your lights on, maybe 2-3 hours per day to benefit the live rock. Also, make sure you're not using water that has phosphates in it like most tap water, RO/DI water is highly recommended.

As far as having fish in the tank 2 weeks in, I'd take them out. I know that fish have been recommended for cycling a tank however they are not needed and this is an old method that today serves no purpose. Your live rock will do all the cycling you need, cocktail shrimp can also be added in the filter (one) to help add beneficial bacteria.

Rock Anemone:D

PoukieBear
05/25/2005, 04:02 PM
The brown stuff are brown diatoms. They are normal in a new tank. It isn't because the lights are on too long, they don't need light to grow. when you get a clean up crew, they should be able to take care of it.

as for your fish, You shouldn't have them just yet. Your tank hasn't cycled. It will put them in great stress and they will probably die. Sorry.

PoukieBear
05/25/2005, 04:03 PM
lol, ^ what he said! he beat me to it!

Carie
06/05/2005, 11:07 AM
What a good clean up crew for the glass?

shealygg
06/05/2005, 08:12 PM
[welcome] to you too, Carie...

A good starter cleanup crew would consist of snails and hermit crabs....the snails will obviously be best for the glass as the crabs will only be able to get to the rock and sand.

reefkeeper20
06/05/2005, 09:33 PM
I agree with Shealygg I was freaking out when my new tank looked like a tank of rotten water. It looks really bad but it will get better. Soon after adding my clean crew (about 1 month after set-up) everything was cleaned right up in about a week. It's frustrating but It will pass. Throw a towel over it :).