PDA

View Full Version : Show us your prop system!

JD52
05/22/2005, 12:26 PM
Ill be setting up a 45 breeder as a prop tank soon, this is the settup: 250w 10k DE on a Blue Wave 3 ballast, no actinics, open top, kalk reactor on an auto top-off, HOB fuge, modified Bak Pak skimmer, bare bottom, no fish, mostly unusual sps, no sump... SCWD on a Mag 18.... Thats about it!
Hows about a thread discussing propagation settups only? Pics and a description would be great! Hopefully this hasent been done already...

jdieck
05/22/2005, 12:43 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/prop.jpg

Propagation Tank:
Tenecor Acrylic Eurobraced 48"Lx24"Wx16"H 70 Gallon Water Capacity with Center Overflow double return fed directly from main system sump via a Mag Drive 24 submersible pump. Lighting 2x 250 Watt 13K AB MH bulbs driven by Two IceCap Electronic Ballast supplemented with two T5 54 watt actinics.
Connected to the main system which provides Calcium and Alkalinity, temperature control, skimming, Ozone and UV.

For Main System Equipment see:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/equipment.html

kenny77
05/22/2005, 12:58 PM
one question. im gonna setup a 20g L prop tank. actually is gonna be more like a quarantine tank than a prop tank. how much lighting should i have. i have a rack and the top one is very very close to the surface area since it was made for a 20g H.

jdieck
05/22/2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kenny77
one question. im gonna setup a 20g L prop tank. actually is gonna be more like a quarantine tank than a prop tank. how much lighting should i have. i have a rack and the top one is very very close to the surface area since it was made for a 20g H.

It depends on what you will puting in quarantine. If it will be sps corals I would recommend one 10K 175 W Metal halide.
Otherwise two 55W 10K PCs will do.

kenny77
05/22/2005, 01:37 PM
i have 2 55w 10k PCs but im kind of worry thta if i use that i will loose some color. the prop tank will be for SPS on th every top and softies on the mid.

jdieck
05/22/2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by kenny77
i have 2 55w 10k PCs but im kind of worry thta if i use that i will loose some color. the prop tank will be for SPS on th every top and softies on the mid.

Keep in mind that the Q tank is just for temporary holding (One month max) and although IMO it will be preferable to provide the corals with the same amount of light to the one they will be subjected to in the main tank, it is not extrictly necessary as you only need to provide means to secure the coral survival during this time and after that coloration and growth could be achieved once transferred to the main. Note that if the lighting in the Q will be lower, the corals will have to acclimate to the stronger lighting by incrementally getting the corals closer to the lamps in the main.

kenny77
05/22/2005, 02:07 PM
the main tank has 550w of VHO and most of the SPS i keep are at the top of the aquascaping. some of them in the mid. i want this quaratine to check on red bugs and anything that can come with the coral. also im gonna receive an order of SPS next week from a source that i havent receive before so i want to quarantine this coral before putting them in the tank.

also the tank is just below the skylight on the livingroom and duringthe day it receive a lot of light and during the morning it give the tank the sunrise effect

illnino
05/22/2005, 02:36 PM
when i frag, i put the frags in a clear plastic cup in the bottom of my tank. lol. im settin my 10 up as a prop tnak soon...

JD52
05/22/2005, 05:40 PM
Not a bad idea qt'ing for red bugs when purchasing from a new source...

jdieck, thats a very nice system you have there, really clean looking and some pretty sweet looking frags too! Can I ask why your using a uv?

Lets see some more!!!

fishdoc11
05/22/2005, 07:14 PM
40 breeder with DIY overflow
ROIII pendant with 250 AB 20K and HQI ballast
20 high sump
Aqua C EV 180 skimmer fed with GenX PCX30
Mag7 return
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/fishdoc11/Dsc01029.jpg