PDA

View Full Version : O.K. Reactor ? Cal /Alk

hpmcbroom
05/21/2005, 09:03 PM
Well I have a 55gal. tank that has an anemone ,open brain, colt coral , leathercoral, and mushroom coral . All are spaced with good distance between them . My question is do I need a cal/alk reactor and what do they do that makes them beneficial to a reef system . Is my 55gal. to small for one or can I use one on it? Down the road I will get a bigger tank but with my situation now it'll be at least a year . I saw the ones on the RC DIY section and they look cool . You all know this hobby is dang addicting and I love toys , oops I mean gadgets especially if they're salt related. So that's my question all replies welcome. :beer:

tenshi
05/21/2005, 09:44 PM
At this point I think your better off using a two part calium buffer system like ESV's B-Ionic. With your current corals you don't have a high calcium demand.

hpmcbroom
05/21/2005, 09:48 PM
What is B-Ionic and what needs high calcium . I would like to get a clam derusa when I upgrade my lighting.

tenshi
05/21/2005, 10:07 PM
This is a link to the ESV B-Ionic webpage (http://www.esvco.com/prod6.html). Even with the Derasa in there, I think you could get away with a two part calcium buffer. By the way Two Little Fishes makes C-Balance and Kent makes Tech-CB. ESV's B-Ionic is just one of many two part calcium buffer systems. Which one is better? I don't really know since I've only have tried Kent.