PDA

View Full Version : Successful January Meeting!

npaden
01/28/2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks everyone for coming to the meeting! The weather cooperated beautifully for us to check out James's greenhouse setup. It turned out to be a very good turnout with 14 of us by the end of the meeting. I think that may be the most at a meeting so far. Heck, we'll be renting out the civic center for meetings before too long! ;-)

For our next meeting Aaron Shelley has volunteered to host at his house and that should be a real treat for everyone. He has a 240 gallon display tank with a 300+ gallon refugium setup in his garage and about 3 or 4 other tanks all plumbed into the system there in his garage. It is a VERY impressive setup!

Hopefully things are going well for everyone. It sounds like Scott's tank is making a comeback after he implemented several of the items we talked about at our last meeting. He added additional sand, added a refugium, and removed the biowheels from his hangon filters (he had plenty of live rock) and in one month his nitrates have gone from a steady 80ppm to 10ppm when he tested before the meeting. Hopefully he will continue to have success.

The sand bed topic that we discussed seemed to be timely for Chuck who is in the process of setting up a 200 gallon reef tank in addition to about 6 or 7 other tanks in his house that vary from reefs to african chilids.

For those of you who were unable to attend here is a good article on the internet on sandbeds: http://rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm There are some links in the article as well to take you to other articles on the subject.

One topic of discussion that I thought we might tackle at our next meeting would be what additives are necessary for a successful reef tank. This may end up being a little more controversial than the sand bed topic but I think it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks it takes to keep a successful tank going.

I will check the calender and let everyone know in mid-February when it will be. We might shoot for early March but we will need to work out with Aaron the best time for him since he will be hosting it.

Thanks for coming! Nathan