PDA

View Full Version : HELP Clownfish problems

Cody00SS
05/19/2005, 07:00 PM
I just came home to my first casualty. One of my 2 young O. Cownfish (maybe .5in) was dead. These are the first fish. The only other animals in my tank are snails and cleaner shrimp(2). I have 2 SEIO 620's angled into rock to break up the flow.

Is this too much flow for the fish? Or could the cleaner shrimp have gotten to him?

I just tested my water yesterday and my ammonia was 0, nitrite .01 and nitrate .5.

Please, any ideas are welcome. I don't want to lose the other one. I feel bad enough about the first one.

dhoch
05/19/2005, 07:58 PM
If your tank is still cycling (as it says in your signature)... you would probably have been beter off waiting a bit.

How long had the fish been in the tank?

Where did they come from?

Dave

Cody00SS
05/20/2005, 12:08 AM
Sorry my sig is old. The tank is done cycling. The nitrite I think cam from a mini cycle of adding livestock. Anyway, I came home to find my other fish gone just now. I am wondering if the flow was too much and my cleaner shrimp seem to be bullies. They even attack my snails. I am going to wait and try to figure out what is wrong exactly before adding any more fish.

dhoch
05/20/2005, 04:07 AM
Well,

Flow should not be a problem (what's the turnover rate in the tank?)... I have 2 O. Clowns in my 180 and the flow is ~25x30 turnover per hour... and they are fine.

What is the Ph in the tank?

Salinity? (and what do you use to check this).

Dave

Cody00SS
05/20/2005, 08:09 AM
The flow is 30x+. According to my Ph monitor the Ph is bewteen 8.1-8.0 depending on the tine of day. And according to my refractometer my SG is 1.026 or 35ppt.

As I said before, these guys were very small. I am thinking that older, larger O. Clownfish would be fine. The other variable is my cleaner shrimp as they do seem to be bullies.

aural
05/20/2005, 09:20 AM
OR you could have a preditor in the tank. (Hitchhiking mantis shrimp SUCK and i lost several false percs do to one. nasty little bugger.)

Cody00SS
05/20/2005, 11:46 PM
I don't think that is the case as the bodies were whole (no signs of attack), and I have not seen any other signs of such a creature