PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles from overflow?

jcgreen7
05/18/2005, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to eleminate or reduce the amount of bubbles coming from my overflow. I have a megaflow overflow for my AGA w/ standpipe that drains directly into my fuge via a spraybar. I would like to get rid of the bubbles to: 1- reduce the noise and 2- reduce amount of oxygen being put into water.

Any ideas would be great. I have a ball valve on the drain line but that if not a fine enough adjustment to equal out the drain and the return.

Thanks-
Justin

chessmanmark
05/18/2005, 12:45 PM
I have a bubble trap in my sump, however some bubbles still get through so I put some filter floss over the first section and then leaned a piece of Plexiglas against the return pump. I don't see any bubbles back in the tank anymore.

jcgreen7
05/18/2005, 09:30 PM
I am not getting bubbles into my display tank, just a lot of bubbles in my fuge. I am wanting to reduce or eleminate the bubbling noise and reduce oxygen content in water.

jcgreen7
05/18/2005, 09:31 PM
Everyone who is looking, I just need some advice.

Anything, anybody.

Thanks for giving input chessmanmark

CA
05/18/2005, 10:45 PM
Why would you want to reduce oxygen content in the water??

Is there space to dump your water into a separate space with some type of media in it, such as a foam block or live rock? That helps get the bubbles out.

And are you really having a bubble noise problem, or is it slurping from the intake?

chessmanmark
05/19/2005, 12:09 PM
Filter floss works well to reduce water gurgling noise. I looked at my sump last night and realized I also put small pieces of live rock where I noticed micro-bubbles. I think they help break them up.

jcgreen7
05/20/2005, 10:25 AM
I want to reduce the amount of oxygen in order to help reduce the nitrates. It is the actual bubbles making the noise. My overflow goes dirctly into a spray bar in my fuge. All my fuge is though is just a 20 gal tank, nothing special. I think I will try and design something to use a media to help reduce the bubbles.

Thanks for the suggestions
Much appreciated

Justin

1package
05/20/2005, 11:54 AM
I use the floss and do not need a bubble trap, a filter sock would likely do the same thing if you can use it.

TroyPierce
05/20/2005, 01:27 PM
I had a similar problem jc. I tried just about everything and in the end, what worked the best is white children's tube sox. Buy them in bulk at a dollar store, rince them then a whashing machine and slip them over the end of the drain(s). I have unions on the drain lines so I could take the 'tail' off if I had to pull the sump out and the bulge is enough to hold the socks up. You could also use something to clamp them on.

They cut the noise down considerably. They also get rather nasty after a week. I change them out and throw them away.

Hope this helps.
Troy