PDA

View Full Version : lawnmower blenny getting thin... need help!

racinghart
05/18/2005, 12:20 AM
my lawnmower blenny is starving... he mowed down my hair algae problem very fast and my tank has been free of algae for quite sometime... i think i may be starving the poor thing... what can i put in there for him to eat? please help. he isnt touching the seaweed selects seaweed im cliping to the glass. my snails and critters are though.

kewliz
05/18/2005, 12:30 AM
I've had the same problem with my Blenny. He has yet to touch ANY prepared foods. Some people had suggested bottom feeder tabs (like the kind for catfish and loaches) and had good results with them. However, my Blenny didn't touch them. My crabs loved it, though.

If you want, PM your addy and I'll send you the remaining food and you can try it out.
If he won't accept anything, you might want to consider donating him to an RC member with a large tank. The Blennys at the LFS (large) tanks are really chubby. Maybe they just need a larger feeding ground.

codybug
05/18/2005, 12:41 AM
I thought that lawnmower blennies liked copepods?

ricka
05/18/2005, 12:44 AM
Try Nori. Tie it to a rock at first with a rubber band and he'll go for it. Mine now eats off of a food clip and anything I throw in the tank, but it took a while.

--Rick

MonkeeFish
05/18/2005, 01:11 AM
maybe it's sick?

Jean-yus
05/18/2005, 02:43 AM
mine sucks... He wont touch algae. Nothing but Formula one pellets for him : /

gho
05/18/2005, 02:43 AM
I put one of those in my tank when I had a hair algae infestation (noob). It didn't touch it for like a week and kept getting skinnier and skinnier. I finally returned it to the store (no credit).

hpmcbroom
05/18/2005, 05:46 AM
I got a LWMB from a lfs and it was starving did'nt look good . But I bought and fed it nori while there was an algae issue in my tank and he fattened up nicely. His new name was "BigFats " no joke nori was a food I put in because of my turbos anyway and BigFats took to it great . BigFats lived in my tank for about a year when a freak accident on my part killed him. I do miss that fish he was a great grazer kept my tank free of bad algae and boy did he love to chomp on the nori when I put it in . I will buy another lawnmower but it'll have big shoes to fill. If your blennie is'nt eating the nori when you put it in . I say leave it in overnight and see about it in the morning . That's what I did everyday and for me it worked . Good luck :beer:

racinghart
05/18/2005, 09:51 PM
thanks everyone... ill try the nori and if that doesnt work ill try to catch him or give him away to a happy adopting home.

supaboy1981
05/19/2005, 12:43 PM
My guy ate the crap out of my hair algea. He got so fat in a few days it was so funny to watch. now he eats, pellets, nori, meaty foods, honey baked hams (j/k) and he is still really fat

sps_addict
05/19/2005, 02:30 PM
Some of yours eat hair algae? Dang, mine doesn't touch it, it eats the algae off the glass and competes with my snails...that booger

hack job
05/19/2005, 02:58 PM
mone dose not eat algae either he will only eat formula one or brine shrip some times i see him nipping at the glass, but very rarely. when we got him he was skinny and now hes very fat.;) good luck

tigerczr
05/19/2005, 04:06 PM
Mine did the same thing. I had a lot of algae which he mowed down and after that he wouldn't touch anything. Unfortunately he died even with all of the different things I tried. Looking back now I should have found im a new home with algae.

supaboy1981
05/19/2005, 04:13 PM
I guess I won the lottery with my LMB! and here he is in all his glory!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/34201Picture_009.jpg

laverda
05/20/2005, 01:50 AM
I have some hair algae on some rocks in my Qt tank. If you want a rock or 2 for him to clean. I let it grow and but the rock in for my tangs to clean.