PDA

View Full Version : lighting question

9thLife
05/17/2005, 11:20 PM
hey all- so I'm 75% done with my 116 gallon reef tank (making it out of acrylic) and all is coming along pretty well.

I'm to the point in which I need to decide what lights to add to this tank. The tank is made of 3/4 in cast acrylic and is 36"x24"x36". I'm planning to have some hard and soft corals in the tank, and plan to arrange the LR so it is about 25" tall in the tank. I contacted Gina's Aquarium Supply (www.aquarium-supply.biz) asking what typ of lighting would be right for my tank after searching the internet. This is what they responded with:

"This will be a very difficult tank to light because it is so deep. You
really need 400 watt metal halide bulbs for hard corals in a 36 inch deep tank. The light should be 12 inches above the tank. This will prevent the light from melting anything and will also help to spread the light evenly. A Hamilton Technology Hood Fixture with two 10K 400 watt metal halide bulbs and two 96W power compact actinic bulbs goes for $791.00"

$791!!!!!!! omg what have I gotten myself into! I am going to have to sell a kidney to get this tank going!......ok perhaps not, but damn that's a chunk of change. Anyone know if this estimate is accurate? Could I get away with spending les and getting the same lightin for my tank? Is there another configuration that anyone can suggest? This tank may have to site while I panhandle to raise the dough!

pepe.king.prawn
05/18/2005, 01:44 AM
That sounds correct to me. You might be able to get away with 250w halides, but a 400 or two would be optimal as the higher intensity will reach the bottom of your tank. 9"-12" from the water surface is my recommendation.

Buying brand new will always be expensive, and a hamilton fixture will be even more. There are lots of companies that sell retro kits to put in hoods, but if you're looking for a pendant or fixture, expect to pay a little bit more. I've heard that hellolights.com, aquariumlight.com and other sponsors of RC are pretty good. It might also be worth it to check out the used stuff for sale here on the for sale forum.

Good Luck.

JR719
05/18/2005, 01:52 AM
Yea, that is about right. I agree with pepe on used stuff. If your tank already has a hood you can go retro alot cheaper. You can find good buys in the sale forum. Alot of people go with magnetic ballasts due to them being relatively inexpensive. A little more and you can get electronic ballasts. I agree going with 400MH's. You can always wait on adding actinics if you even want them. You could add a higher "K" rating bulb to add a little blue if you like. Just get ready for your electric bill to eat your wallet.

9thLife
05/18/2005, 12:17 PM
oh man! I can't wait to see the electric bills!! thanks for the help guys- great suggestions, I've had a black cloud hanging over my head since last night on this