PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Air Conditioning unit and heat

HenryTran
05/17/2005, 03:09 PM
I have added (2) 400 watt MH to my tank, the fans keep the temp down in the tank but gets the room really hot when I'm not home. I have an air condition unit that can only be turned on manually. My question is; is there a way to make it automatic just like the chillers for aquariums?

I was thinking of putting it on a timer, but thought there might be a better way. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

daphaze1
05/17/2005, 03:11 PM
i think they have air con controllers at home depot for like 40 bucks, for the central air units. if its a central air unit i'm sure you can put one of those on cause the sensors are actually in the small box.

HenryTran
05/17/2005, 03:13 PM
No it is not a central air unit, it's one of those that hangs partially outside.

gcarroll
05/17/2005, 03:59 PM
I wonder if you could just plug it in to a aquarium temp controller and just place the thermometer in the open air. It might work, it might not.

H22ATypeS
05/17/2005, 05:22 PM
You can get an atmospheric temp controller at Home Depot....Works exactly the same way a Ranco controller works...

HenryTran
05/17/2005, 07:53 PM
What exactly will an atmospheric temp controller do? Do you plug the AC unit to it and it will turn the unit on whenever the temperature gets to a set degree. I called Home Depot and the guys in electrical states that there is not a product that will do as I describe above. Please let me know the specifics of the temp controller so I have a better idea when I speak with them.

Thanks

gho
05/18/2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by gcarroll
I wonder if you could just plug it in to a aquarium temp controller and just place the thermometer in the open air. It might work, it might not.
Yes you could, my medusa controller can be used in either air or water. But it's a rather expensive solution when you can get a digital thermostat at HD for like $40 instead of $250 for the controller.

Personally, though, I don't worry how hot it gets in the house when I'm not home. I don't run the AC and my tank is upstairs and it gets really hot around my place in the summer. The chiller seems to have no issues with it though.

H22ATypeS
05/18/2005, 09:37 AM
Calling Home Depot and talking to those dumb-a$$es will never get you anywhere.

I did a quick google search

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemDesc.asp?ic=AACIGS020

They are used in horticulture systems.

tgrunewald
05/18/2005, 09:53 AM
If you are somewhat electrically inclined you could hook a 110V thermostat in line with the electrical outlet or the window a/c. You could also hook a 24V thermostat in line but you would need to incorporate a transformer and relay.

HenryTran
05/18/2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the link, that will work just fine. What is the digital thermostat that gho is talking about? Is that for central air units?

gho
05/18/2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah, its the one for centra air - I like them better, as they seem more accurate.

HenryTran
05/18/2005, 02:18 PM
Do they have the atmospheric temperature controller at Home Depot, if so do you know what dept. its in?

Thanks

H22ATypeS
05/18/2005, 02:49 PM
I highly doubt Home Depot is going to carry an atmospheric temp controller. What you could try to do is get a thermostat and have it powered via a 110-120VAC -> 12/24VDC transformer. It will probably cost less too. It's just you will have to do some custom work for the interface panel to the AC switch....

gho
05/18/2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I think it's in the HVAC section - its more commonly referred to as a "thermostat"