PDA

View Full Version : Potters Angel in a SPS tank?

29reef
05/17/2005, 02:02 PM
Anyone keeping a potters in their SPS tanks? I have a small one in my refug. and i would really like to get it out of there. But I am not shure that he will keep away from my sps. There is a lot of GSP and some monti digi in the fuge and it leaves them alone. I also have clams in my tank. Any advice on what to do? Mods feel free to move this to another forum if need be.

Thanks for all of your help

Brian

Old Yeller Tang
05/17/2005, 03:16 PM
They're no different than any other centropyges, pretty much a hit or miss situation but most likely a good fish to have. Larry(Hawkdl) has a beautiful fat one in his sps tank. They seem to be more trouble with lps and softies if I remember well. If you want to get rid of it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands.:D

thrlride
05/17/2005, 03:22 PM
Hit or miss for sure. I've heard that flames like SPS as opposed to lps and softies...

Old Yeller Tang
05/17/2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by thrlride
Hit or miss for sure. I've heard that flames like SPS as opposed to lps and softies...
Yep! My Flame is the worst of my angels!

SOREVIV476
05/17/2005, 05:28 PM
i had a coral beauty adn a flame in my tank adn they where both fin never messed with my sps. they where fine till they met my angler lol

29reef
05/17/2005, 07:22 PM
That is all good info. So what I gather on what to do is to just put it in and hope for the best? Rolland when are you going to show up some new pics of that big tank of yours? Your thread Has kinda died here in SCR. I want to see all that live rock you got cooking. LOL.

DoomWeasel
05/17/2005, 08:12 PM
my potter's nipped. hit or miss, my friend. In the end I decided I like seeing polyps during the day, so I don't think I will be buying a new one any time soon.

Hawkdl2
05/18/2005, 01:11 AM
I've had several over the years, and coral beauties, and a Wantanabe. None were ever a problem. I've rarely heard of a Potter casuing problems, but as posted above some people have had bad experiences. Potters used to be considered hard to keep, or to get one that would survive, but I've never had this problem and as Roland has pointed out mine are fat and happy. They are one of my favoite fish.

Old Yeller Tang
05/18/2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 29reef
Rolland when are you going to show up some new pics of that big tank of yours? Your thread Has kinda died here in SCR. I want to see all that live rock you got cooking. LOL.
Custom Aquatics has some plumbing parts I need on backorder and thus, the delay. I was hoping to have all my plumbing parts in by this weekend so I can finish up the job but CA said Monday at the earliest!:( I'll prolly have the lights up tho and will finally post some new pics.:)

Crusty Old Shellback
05/18/2005, 10:36 AM
I've had 4 Coral beauties over the years and never had any problems with them in a LPS/Softie tank. Like others have said, hit and miss. I think one key factor is keeping them well fed so they don't go looking for corals to eat.

29reef
05/18/2005, 01:48 PM
Rolland custom aquatics is slow...... Why not try All Seas next time? They are good people over there. I think that Dave or Carlos or Eric can get you in the door.

Steve9877
05/18/2005, 02:01 PM
Not much of a history to reference yet, but I added a small Potters two weeks ago to my mostly softie tank which also has Zoos, GSPs, a Hammer and assorted polyps and he hasnt caused any problems yet. They are beautiful fish, take the chance!!

Steve in Louisville