PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off Reservoir

Echosgold
05/15/2005, 09:45 PM
I am wondering what people are using for their auto top-off reservoirs? I am currently using a 5 gallon Alhambra type bottle but I am going through those five gallons in about two days. This is one job that I want to minimize. Looking for a bigger, better reservoir or clever alternative. I am going through five gallons way too fast.

8BALL_99
05/15/2005, 10:29 PM
I have mine connected straight to my RO/DI .. I did have a reservoir that was about 3+ gallons but I got tired of filling it up every couple of days.. So I just ran a 1/4 water line for the RO/DI to the room the tank is in...

Horace
05/15/2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
I have mine connected straight to my RO/DI .. I did have a reservoir that was about 3+ gallons but I got tired of filling it up every couple of days.. So I just ran a 1/4 water line for the RO/DI to the room the tank is in...

Just as a side note, this is a risky proposal. If anything happens to your tank, for example you get a leak, well if your system is set to fill using a float valve, it will continue leaking till you find it because the value wont know the difference between a leak and evaporation. My advice would be to find yourself a bigger container. Atleast then there is a fixed amount of water than can end up on your floor. Do it any other way and you could have a swimming pool in your basement when you come home from vacation :(

Zander
05/15/2005, 11:03 PM
I use a 20gal rubbermaid brute trashcan

svb57
05/15/2005, 11:24 PM
Horace - I lose 5 gallons a day and I plan on being gone 18 days this summer. That's a BIG container...I use a air pressure switch on my DI/RO unit and it has a back up float if the air pressure switch fails. The DI/RO unit is 30 feet from the tank and I feel very comforatable with this set up...In MHO

Yes if my tank springs a leak I will have LOTS water on the floor. But I have had tanks for 30+ years and never have I had one spring a leak.

But agian to each to use what they feel comfortable with and we are just giving more info for him/her to use.

8BALL_99
05/15/2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Horace
Just as a side note, this is a risky proposal. If anything happens to your tank, for example you get a leak, well if your system is set to fill using a float valve, it will continue leaking till you find it because the value wont know the difference between a leak and evaporation. My advice would be to find yourself a bigger container. Atleast then there is a fixed amount of water than can end up on your floor. Do it any other way and you could have a swimming pool in your basement when you come home from vacation :(

Yeah I know there is a chance of a flood.. But I have a dual float switch so I'm not worried about it failing.. and if the tank gets a leak the autotopoff will be the least of my problems.. :P

8BALL_99
05/15/2005, 11:28 PM
Btw since I added a couple other tanks to my setup, I also loose about 4-5 gallons in the summer.. So I would need atleast a 50 gallon container..That would be a pain to find a place for and having to fill it up every couple of weeks would take forever

Echosgold
05/16/2005, 09:13 PM
I guess maybe I will try something like a 20 - 30 gallon container next and see how that works. I have a closet nearby that I might be able to conceal the container in.

8BALL_99
05/16/2005, 09:45 PM
Look in the phone book for your local feed store.. I guess CA has them lol.. anyway they should have some containers that will work.. A local reefer bought a 50 gallon plastic drum for like 10 bucks it was used from a DR Pepper company .. Its food grade he just washed it good then stuck it on a stand behind the house. He has been using it for a long time with NP