PDA

View Full Version : Whoopee!! I finally found my new big tank!

Reefmaiden
01/26/2002, 09:43 PM
After looking and looking, placing ads, and almost getting ripped off once, I finally found my new bigger tank!!:bounce1:

Its a 250 gallon acrylic, 8' long x 2' wide x 2' tall, with a black back and built in overflow. And this time I took a measuing tape with me to be sure the guy wasn't lying! :)

It's kinda odd, though, one of the front corners has an angle to it; the other corner is square. So one side looks like a hex tank, the other square. Hmm...going to provide some design/building challenges to the stand and hood, but I'm up to it! Anyone else out there with a tank this shape? I kinda think it might be one-of a kind, custom made, but just thought I'd check. If so, I'd love to see some pictures of your stand to see how you did it!

Also wondering about the overflow; I would have thought a tank this long would have had two overflows; one in each corner. But this tank just has one large one in the back corner. Will this present any problems?

DukeDog
01/26/2002, 09:47 PM
Hey sounds cool .:D That will be fun setting it up. Expensive also:) What size is the bulkhead in the overflow?
Jeff

marinerules
01/26/2002, 09:48 PM
congrats on your tank, i wish i could afford a tank that size , i have a 55, and barely can afford to keep it maintained, i have to have my parents help, just curious how much did you pay for it

JazzMan
01/26/2002, 09:49 PM
ReefMaiden. I use to live in Scattsdale. I went to ASU back in the early 90's. I am back in New York now. Are you an AZ native?

Reefmaiden
01/26/2002, 09:56 PM
Jeff-

Don't know what the size of the bulkhead is; I pick the tank up tomorrow (have to go back with a bigger truck - wouldn't fit in my Explorer) :D I'll have to check it out when I get it home. I know the overflow box itself was quite large, I'd say at least 12" x 6" or so...

JimFitz73-

Well, pretty much a native....I was born in Michigan, but we moved here when I was only 2 months old...so Scottsdale is all I've ever known. So how do you like NY compared to Scottsdale? Huge change there...

I only paid $450 for the tank...I think it was a pretty good deal. I've been looking for weeks now, was about ready to buy a brand new 180gal. acrylic for around $800 without an overflow and with a clear back (cheaper that way). I had people contacting me left and right wanting to sell their 150's or 180's for anywhere from $800 up to $1200. For a used tank!! I couldn't believe it. So I feel pretty good with the $450.

marinerules
01/26/2002, 10:06 PM
where did you find it , ive foudn one for $220 for a 300 gallon tank without lid and lights but the person already sold it

Reefmaiden
01/26/2002, 10:17 PM
$220 for a 300gallon? WOW. That would have been nice. Are you in Scottsdale? Do you know if the tank was acrylic?

The guy had actually put an ad in the paper for a 300 gallon glass tank he was selling; I called on that one but he had already sold it. He did have this 250 gallon acrylic though so I thought I'd take a look. One look and I fell in love :love2: he he he

MThomas
01/26/2002, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I rented a 1-Ton cargo van when I went and picked up my 240. Perfect fit and I didn't have to worry about anything happening to it on the 3 hour drive home. I paid a little less than you did, but it needs some buffing. I figure why not, it will be a while before it is up and it gives me something to do. Congrats on the purchase! Let's see some pics of that gem.

nanoreefboy
01/27/2002, 12:09 PM
Just a thought for a tank that big for that price I would ask him to fill it so I could check for leaks.

Reefmaiden
01/27/2002, 12:18 PM
nanoreefboy-

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Luckily when I got there he already had it full of water. I looked very hard at every inch of the tank, under the tank, etc. and luckily no leaks! Yeah!!!! :)

Reefmaiden
01/27/2002, 08:37 PM
Well, here's my new baby! Isn't she pretty :D

I've got it outside filled with water right now, just making sure she really is leak proof. So far so good (whew!)

The overflow box itself actually is much bigger than I originally thought; it is 23" x 7" wide. There are two bulkheads at the bottom, both 1.5". I have never owned a tank with a built in overflow before, always have used the hang-on the back type, so this will be a whole new experience for me!

http://www.cheapbirdtoys.com/tank1.jpg

DukeDog
01/27/2002, 08:43 PM
Wow that does look good:) I like the way the corner has the angle. Keep us up to date when setting it up:D
Jeff

kaotica
01/27/2002, 08:44 PM
:eek2: :eek1: :eek2: :eek1: :cool: :D :cool: :D :eek2: :eek1: :eek2: :smokin: :D :) :eek2: :eek1:
speechless
i want a tank like that!!!!
i guess that's one of the limits of living on the 6th floor of a condo...
i think my 72 G is already pushing it ;)

congrats on the awesome tank!!!

MThomas
01/27/2002, 11:22 PM
One word.... Jealous! This describes what I am right now. NICE! I like the custom appearance of it. That will make for one beauty when you are done. Keep us updated as you progress in setting it up. I'm sure you will have yours up and running before me. My goal of April first is quickly approaching. Much faster than I thought it would.

Good luck and have fun planning the setup for that.

gkrane
01/27/2002, 11:38 PM
reefmaiden,
Does this mean you are going to try to get the pure aragonite sand order to az back on again? I am still interested. Great tank!!!!!!!!

Reefmaiden
01/28/2002, 12:19 AM
Hi Greg-

If there were enough people in AZ interested I'd still do it; however you were the only other person who replied to any of my posts! I posted on several boards looking for interest but got no response. Do you know anyone else in the area who would want to do it?

For the time being I went ahead and bought some nice pure white play sand I found at HD; I had never seen it there before so I thought I'd better buy it before it was all gone cause with my luck it would all be gone when I was ready to buy. But if I could get the aragonite sand I could always use the playsand somewhere else or take it back - it only cost $3.50 a bag or so.

Renae
01/28/2002, 01:01 AM
Reef,
It looks great keep us posted on the progression. Love to see pics once its up and runnin!
If you need anything let me know.
Godd Luck Great find!
Renae:D

Ninong
01/28/2002, 01:21 AM
Congrats Reefmaiden! That is a great buy for only $450. :D

Definitely a custom tank. The "rounded" end may have been close to a doorway or something and that design was so that people could get around it easier.

tleip
01/28/2002, 01:57 AM
Geez, I didn't call on the 300 (in the AZ republic, right?) because I was looking for something in the 240-250 range! Last week some guy had a 240 with stand for $400, but he would never answer his phone....

BTW, which HD did you get the white sand at? I picked up 300lbs of Southdown when Kristy in Tucson ordered it, but still need more (assuming I ever can find that 240). :^)

Nice catch!

Terry

Dolf
01/28/2002, 07:28 AM
Reefmaiden,

I was looking at getting Southdown shipped to Calgary and will be looking at shipping costs and such early this week. While doing my research I found out Southdown will not ship very small orders (I do not know yet how large they have to be) but a company called pure Caribbean aragonite will ship 1/2 pallets and full pallets (70 bags.) Regrettably the West is the most expensive place for them to ship to (395 just for shipping)

If you are interested the link to their co-op buying page is right here (http://www.purearagonite.com./co-opprogram.html) I would imagine that it will take quite a number of bags just to fill that thing. Looks good BTW!

Hope some of this helps,

-Danny

Reefmaiden
01/28/2002, 09:45 AM
Terry-
I got the nice white playsand at the HD on Thomas Rd. and 36th Street. They only have about 1/3 pallet left, so better hurry if you want to get some. It is very nice sand, pure white, sugar sized, and says it is safe for children. Of course its not aragonite like southdown is, there is silica in this sand. But is does look very nice!

Danny-
Purearagonite.com is where I was trying to get an order together from, but wasn't able to find enough interest in the area to even get a 1/2 pallet shipped. I think a 1/2 pallet is 36 bags or so, and I only found interest in about 18 bags. Sure would have been nice, though...