PDA

View Full Version : overflow question??

shark@thebeach
05/15/2005, 12:10 AM
How do you get the overflow to start back up in the case of a power outage?? This maybe a stupid question but I am new at all of this!!!

pcbox
05/15/2005, 12:48 AM
The return pump will start the overflow back up. When the power comes back your return pump will pump water back in your tank. This will cause your tank to overflow to start up again.

Just make sure your sump doesn't overflow when there a power outage.

tigerarmy40
05/15/2005, 12:50 AM
well if you have a hob o/f you may need to start the syphon again from the tank!

shark@thebeach
05/15/2005, 01:15 AM
Makes sense. It is an hob o/f and thats the problem. How do I get the syphon to start by itself. I am worried that if I am not home when the power goes out I will have a big mess when that return pump kicks in!!!

masson
05/15/2005, 01:26 AM
Dont get a cpr hob overflow , get a u- tube. My u-tube overflow restarts after power is lost.

Toby Thompson
05/15/2005, 01:30 AM
HOB type overflows don't loose their siphon just because the power goes out. I'm not saying they can't loose their siphon but the 2 boxes (inside and outside) are designed to keep the siphon functional even if the return pump stops. If you have a U-tube type HOB overflow you use an air hose and manually suck the air out of the top of the tube. If you have a CPR type then u use the little air pump that goes with it.

reefer04
05/15/2005, 01:30 AM
It usually doesn't loose the siphon. If the power goes out the water will continue to siphon into your sump until the water level drops in your overflow box equal to the outside box. It will then stop, but water will still be in the U-tube. When the power comes back on the overflow box will start filling up again and the the siphon will start automatically.

Once you get your siphon started, just unplug the return pump and see what happens. You will see what I am talking about by running a power outage simulation. I didn't understand this either when I first started my siphon.

shark@thebeach
05/15/2005, 01:50 AM
Thanks..... It's all starting to make sense now!!! What would I do without RC!!!!!!