PDA

View Full Version : i have one!!

myrc93
05/13/2005, 04:23 PM
HI!!! I HAVE A MARRON CLOWN AND CONDY ANEMONE

JUSTS FACTS AND INFO ABOUT CARE HANDLING AND WAT I SHOULD AND SHUOLDNT SEE PLEASE AND THANK U!!!

Clarkii Clowns
05/13/2005, 05:00 PM
Hmm

ub32965
05/13/2005, 05:02 PM
I don't your marron clown or any clown will host in your condy anemones.

myrc93
05/13/2005, 05:40 PM
sorry i spelt things wrong i was in a rush and clarkii clowns wats "Hmm" mean thanks

Clarkii Clowns
05/13/2005, 06:20 PM
Sorry, started writing something then it all disappeared.

I hope you dont have a maroon clown in a 2 gallon tank.

Need more info, give us some setup info and history.

myrc93
05/13/2005, 06:51 PM
well its fine in the 2 Gal. my friend mark took me over to the pet store and i bought them im feedin and doin water changes properly and so i went home this past sunday and set it up. its not realy gunna die if i feed it and stuff. my friend checks on it everyday and he says its fine. I have the right light and everything its fine. THANKS!!!!

please put in a reply if u look at this thread. I am a noobie!
Remember things i should and shouldnt see.

keefsama2003
05/13/2005, 07:07 PM
the tank at my wifes job has a Condy hosting a maroon clown.

Clarkii Clowns
05/13/2005, 07:42 PM
I wouldnt put a clown in such a small tank thats all I am saying. :)

10g absolute minimum IMO, preferably 20g.

myrc93
05/13/2005, 08:03 PM
thank u. Clarkii clowns the Marron is not as big as in or somethin its only probally not even an inch yet so im getting a maybe soon

GettingFiesty
05/13/2005, 08:09 PM
Am I understanding correctly, a 2 gallon tank AND the tank is only a few days old?

sfsuphysics
05/13/2005, 08:20 PM
*puts down 10 foot pole*

GettingFiesty
05/13/2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
*puts down 10 foot pole*

Subtle doesn't seem to be getting any direct answers ;)

myrc93
05/13/2005, 08:24 PM
yes ur correct Terry

GettingFiesty
05/13/2005, 08:26 PM
Hate to be the one to say this, but you shouldn't have anything in there yet--no inverts, no fish and especially not an anemone.

Your tank needs time to age and become stable. Anemones need real strong water quality and your tank is too new. Sorry, but the best care you can give the condy is to have somebody with an established tank hold on to it for you or return it to the LFS until your tank is ready.

masson
05/13/2005, 08:26 PM
Any live rock ? Any plans for a hippo tang?

clown fanatic
05/13/2005, 08:37 PM
hey guys if you could keep the unconstructive critisim out id appreciate it. i know this kid and he's young but i think he should be able to handle this tank. a 2 gallon tank is very small... did you set your tank up with brand new or water from another tank? your going to want to try to swicth to a bigger tank as soon as possible. it is VERY hard to keep a fish in a 2 gallon tank.

anywho welcome to reef central

myrc93
05/13/2005, 08:37 PM
i used the pet stores water so its alraedy stable

myrc93
05/13/2005, 08:40 PM
thanks clown fanatic i will switch very soon

alphaferret
05/13/2005, 08:40 PM
i just checked this out! - is this a joke? - I usually do not harp but come on! - please do research(you can do it here-on RC) and you will be happier/ your fish and others will live- and after awhile your typing might even improve!
try abigger atnk or lose the love for clowns and nem's

alphaferret
05/13/2005, 08:43 PM
yes welcome to reef central-please feel free to research and enjoy the hobby- and I am sorry if I was too strong!-and yes my typing still is very bad!lol!

mangrovecrab
05/13/2005, 10:29 PM
I'm afraid you may be headed for heartbreak with this setup, my friend. If you want a small tank to observe the clownfish-host relationship, I'd reccommend something like an Eclipse 12 gallon tank with retrofitted lights such as the sunpaq retrofit or a nanocube. Maybe you could use the 2 gallon tank to keep a mantis shrimp. They really can be hardy, fasinating, and beautiful pets.

GettingFiesty
05/14/2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by myrc93
i used the pet stores water so its alraedy stable

Was this their RO/DI water or water actually from one of their fish tanks? RO/DI water (or mixed saltwater) is usually just filtered water and sometimes they sell it mixed with saltwater. This is nice clean fresh water for your tank, but isn't cycled. By that, I mean it doesn't have any bacteria in it to help your tank become mature and to natural start the denitrifying process.

If you got water from an established tank, then you might have cycled water, but then you have to be careful that they didn't treat their fish for ich as ich medicine has copper in it and can kill invertebrates.

dc
05/14/2005, 08:23 AM
I truely believe that you should take it back to the store. Whoever sold it to you did not have your best interest at heart. Maroons get quite large, by the time it gets too big for your tank you will be attached to it. Maybe a False Percula will live in that small of a tank. I wouldn't put one in myself tho. I'm sure you don't have enough light for the anemone either. Perhaps a pair of cleaner shrimp?

Clown Fanatic, I don't believe leading him to think it's ok is the way to go here. He/she came here for help, and most people want to see newbies have success. I don't see it happening here.

myrc93
05/14/2005, 11:42 AM
i now clown fanatic and he aint gonna make them die. im gettin a bigger tank soon its not like im gonna keep him in there. 10watt bulb wit the light that makes coral grow. my friend said at least 4 watts per gallon and i have 5 so its fine. yes it is water from there hure RO filter so its fine. 10 days til bigger tank so its not gonna die.I do water changes every 5 days and feed the Anemone silver sides and the marron 3 or 4 flakes every other day

myrc93
05/14/2005, 11:44 AM
Know clown fanatic*** sorry in hurry my dad is aging at me to get off BIBI (i said now not know))

masson
05/14/2005, 01:58 PM
What are you doing for water movement?

myrc93
05/14/2005, 02:13 PM
wat do u guys mean??????? i have a bubbler on it if that answers ur ? Thank u keep sendin in replys

GettingFiesty
05/14/2005, 02:32 PM
Yes RO water is good, but that just means that the water is filtered (unlike tap water). Saltwater tanks are different from freshwater tanks in that you have to let them "cycle". You shouldn't add fish to a saltwater tank until it has gone through a cycle (this is when ammonia and nitrate rise drastically and then return back to normal).

Watts per gallon isn't really a good judge of light for a saltwater aquarium (I learned that here on RC). I am going on three years with my tank and am still learning.

Jordan55
05/14/2005, 02:44 PM
Get a 20 gallon.... get some high wattage PC's. 2 pumps for water circulation.

I would take back the clown and anenome if I were you. Upgrade your tank... let it settle for a month.

Get 20 lbs of live rock and some sand.

If you know this kid, please help me out..... soon.

LukFox
05/14/2005, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry for nitpicking something that's even off of this topic, but just a little fyi, both freshwater and saltwater tanks need to cycle and the high ammonia and nitrite is deadly to both. It's highly recommended to fishless cycle, kind of what people do with live rock, but in freshwater we dont have live rock, so we add a little bit of PURE ammonia until the tank goes through the cycle and it becomes safe for fish. And just like saltwater, many freshwater fish should not be added to the tank until the tank is 6-12 months old to be sure everything is very stable. Just a little "just to let you know". Again, sorry for nitpicking on that one little sentence, but it was false info, and someone had to correct it no matter how off topic : ).

Onto the matter - An anemone needs a VERY stable environment. It's recommended to only add one once the tank is 6-12 months old minimum because of it. I doubt that anemone is going to make it if something isnt done (like taking it back to your LFS). Even a larger tank isnt going to save it as that will need to go through a cycle and mature as well. Maroons get very large, but should make it as they're very hardy and the new tank is coming soon. I'd recommend a 30 gallon minimum to allow for some room for error (the larger the tank, the easier to maintain) and for the maroon as it is one of the larger species of clowns. In the meantime, check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. This can be done at most LFS, but it's nice to have your own kits. Still, either way would work, but you need to check them very often during the cycle. Also, if getting it tested at your LFS, make sure to ask for actual numbers. When they say it's fine, that really means it can be just about anything! I dont really suggest feeding that much during a cycle, which is caused because of excess nutrients. Only feed the anemone a small piece of silverside once a week during this time. Also, changing out 1 gallon every other day will really help improve the chances of these two.

GettingFiesty
05/14/2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks LukFox--always open to learning something new. The freshwater fish that I had were always the kind that could be added within hours/days as long as the you put those drops in (sorry been to long to even remember the name of the drops).

myrc93
05/14/2005, 03:16 PM
guys thanks alot and im leanin towards givin them both to my friend until im ready be sure to keep replin to this one and also check out another thread from me in new to the hobby

THank u ( its about wat i need for a bigger tank)

clown fanatic
05/14/2005, 06:33 PM
hey i just wanted to say thanks to all the guys that are being helpful to myrc93... i understand that he has made some mistakes but i really like how you guys have come together to help him out with his current situation. myrc93 i think the lesson learned here is that you should do research on the stuff you want to buy before buying it, this will help you to give them the most comfy environment possible.

well thanks again:strooper:

myrc93
05/14/2005, 06:58 PM
thanks