PDA

View Full Version : where to get large 8-10inch fans

kvosstra
05/12/2005, 04:57 PM
IM looking to take my four 4-inch fans that run at a high rate of speed (read louder decibels) and replace these with 2 larger fans on the back side of the hood 6-10 inches, where they would not be seen, so that i can have the 4 fans only running in an emergency, ie: tank temperature rises above 82.5, and have the larger, fans, running at a slower rate, during normal halide operation time.
so im looking for some fans, similar in style to the 4 inch fans that are instead 8 inch fans, and that woudl run at 1/2 speed, but still provide the same, or more flow, but at a much reduced noise level.
any suggestions are welcomed, including, "your crazy, that wont work"
FYI:
tank is 150g, with 2x400, and 1X250 HQI mini pendant, with pc actinics, and i normally run the tank at 79-80 degress. the only time i really need any cooling power is in the afternoons, when the sun starts to beat down on that side of the house, especially as it is nearing summer.
thanks
-Kyle

illnino
05/12/2005, 06:20 PM
what i have is those 8" dia. fans with clips on the side that you hook to the side of a bed or something, i just took the clip off and screwed it to the back of my canopy, it works well.... anyways, i dont believe you will find a "aquarium" fan that is 8". i say just do some nice diy action like me.

kvosstra
05/12/2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the info
yeah, thats what i was assuming. I just want to know what other people are doing, what has worked. etc.
I was looking at a few different fans, and I think the best is just to look for a fan with a more rigid support system, so you can attach it directly to the canopy.
-Kyle

abfleck
05/12/2005, 06:43 PM
walmart