PDA

View Full Version : To All those who've Owned Baby 1" Maxima clams.......

Tha Sultant
01/26/2002, 01:03 AM
I know most Clams (1" or so in size) are a lot more fragile than their older brothers.

I've never tried them personally, but i've had pretty good success with 3" and uP.

I'm just curious how many of you were able to actually grow baby clams into decent sized clams (2 1/2" + ).

Please state condition you kept them under, whether 175's, 250's, 400's, or even NO Flour's.

Thanks

reef120
01/26/2002, 01:19 AM
I have a 1-1/2" baby max clam under a 400w 20K

Tha Sultant
01/26/2002, 01:23 AM
How long have you had it? Is it showing signs of growth?

reef120
01/28/2002, 08:31 AM
Tha Sultant

I have had my baby clam for 3 + weeks now and seems to be doing awesome looks very heathly and starting to get it's colors. I was also told by SueT that it is also good to take the baby clam and place it in a container with your tank water and slowly pour DT abound the clam about twice a week since baby clams do not feed off light at it's early stage simply feeds off DT(photoplankton). I have not been feeding that way I just feed my tank normally and it seems to be getting what it wants. I have not really seen too much shell growth but I have seen much more extention of it's mantle and colors are really showing up now.

golfish
01/28/2002, 09:25 AM
Ali,
I bought 5 baby clams from Jeff a few years ago. It was a bad choice and will never do it again. I hate learning lessons that way. They all died in a matter of three weeks.........

How are the new lights?

npaden
01/28/2002, 09:48 AM
I've bought 5 baby maximas clams (1 to 1.5") and lost every one of them. I've had about 50% success rates when buying them in the 2" to 3" size and about 75% success rates when buying them 3" to 5" and 100% success rate when buying them 5"+.

There is no question that the baby clams are much more difficult to keep. I've tried all of these under 400W Iwasaki's and heavy supplementation with tahitian blend frozen cryopaste as well as heavy feeding in addition to that. I really don't feel that all of it is nutrition, the baby clams just are so tiny they can be difficult to keep placed properly even when attached to a small rock or something. About 1/2 of my mortality has been when they seem to be doing fine and then somehow either a fish or snail or something knocks them over and breaks their byssal threads and then I usually lost them in a matter of a week or two after that.

I still might buy some in the 2"+ size range at somepoint in the future, but right now I've got an order in for some 4 to 5" farm raised maximas. I think the extra $ is worth it.

FWIW, Nathan

reef120
01/28/2002, 10:56 AM
npaden

this is the first baby clam but knock on wood it seems to be doing good. I have noticed that when I first got the clam I placed it under a 250watt MH and kept either jumping off the rock or my tanks kept knocking it over. What I did is put a bit of super glue on the shell and clued him to the rock so e cant jump or get knocked over. He now opens up really really nice and doesnt get knocked over.

SueT
01/28/2002, 11:27 AM
Thats the deal with baby clams, they have got to be fed indirectly. I was so happy to spend a couple of hours 2 weeks ago in Austin with Jim Norris. He imports baby clams and had 60 come in last November and didn't lose a single one. The key to keeping baby clams alive is feeding and Jim is a strong believer in DT's to do this. I got 1 baby maxima and a larger one. The baby is doing awesome. I take the baby with it's attached rock and place in a small container and pour a capful around the baby after it has opened up in the container. They have got to be fed. I let it sit and feed for 30 minutes or so and back into the tank it goes. I tried only feeding the tank the first week and it showed signs of not getting enough so I returned to Jim's method. Even though it may extend it's mantle you have to make sure it is getting enough food, reef120. HTH..

my 180 ecosystem sps tank:
http://berlinmethod.com/suet/
my 120 ecosystem sps/clam tank:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html
www.marshreef.org/members

Tha Sultant
01/28/2002, 11:51 AM
I'm gonna passed on the baby clams, I barely have the discipline to feed my fish once a week, tha hell if i'm gonna feed a clam daily.

Mark - lights are super bright, Do you think If I add a few 50/50 Pc's the glitter lines will reduce a lil bit? The glitter lines are overwhelming right now.

toptank
01/28/2002, 12:10 PM
Sue I am in agreement with you. I don't get clams normally less than 3" but on occassion I have and do the samething you do. It seem to work. I also use DT's It don't take that long to feed.

Barry

hreef
01/28/2002, 12:23 PM
Sue and I both got clams from Jim, and I have 2-2 inch Maximus. I do feed them like Sue mentions. Jim is very sucessful with these little guys. I too have had baby clams in the past and none survived. But this time the results have been great. I feed them indirectly with the DTs in a bucket. You can really see the difference! They love to eat!

ReefQuest
01/28/2002, 12:24 PM
Well, my experiences are completely different than everyone elses. I purchased a 1" maxima about 4+ years ago and raised him under VHOs for a good two years. He did great, once he attached the rock. I never gave him DT's or anything like that. Last year, I had him under 175 MH last year and kept him on the substrate of my 90 gallon. This year, he is under 400 watters. I never gave any thought to actually adding something to the water to feed him. I'm sure that would be a great idea. In any case, I don't think DT's was available when I got him.

http://home.triad.rr.com/mathes/images/gilmore.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

jim norris
01/28/2002, 07:56 PM
Chris that max is AWESOME!
My babies when They come in go into a 50 gallon tank that has six 65 watt CSL pcs. Four are 10k, one is 50/50 smart lamp and the last is all blue. All the clams are about 12 inches from the lights. I feed them and feed them and feed them DTs. And once in awhile I feed them Kent Photoplex. As they get settle I constanly pick them up and daily check them over for snails and bush the shells to get any algea off of them. As they get older and a good home becomes available thay are well adjusted. They only go to GOOD homes. Clams are filter feeders as babies they need food. When they reach 3 inches and up lighting is needed more. But feeding is still needed.

Chris I have to say it again that clam is awesome.

Barry----The Blackmax is ready email me! I have a baby ultra gold that would like to come will at N/C

Pete---Ditto.

And Sue looking forward for my second lesson on SPSs
Jim

SueT
01/28/2002, 08:12 PM
Hey Jim... I was hoping you'd see this thread. I think some are of the idea you throw a clam in a tank and hope for the best. These babies have to be fed and now I'm even more sure of it. The proof is in tha puddin....

Jim, I'm also ready for my second clam lesson.:)

my 180 ecosystem sps tank:
http://berlinmethod.com/suet/
my 120 ecosystem sps/clam tank:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html
www.marshreef.org/members

Dr_zilla
01/28/2002, 08:18 PM
would esv's freeze dried phytoplankton be sufficient in keeping these little guys healthy or must it be DT's? The reason i ask is because I am getting HQi Mh on my 26 and for the first time will be able to keep light loving animals. A electric blue maxima one thing my heart is set on so i mind as well learn about them :)
Zilla

jim norris
01/28/2002, 08:38 PM
Zilla,
The reason Dt's is so good it is alive! Kent photplex is also good but it is not alive. I have not tried ESV but I think DT's and a varity of others you be good.

Sue go to Mirror, mirror prettish max of them all. This is my favorite clam in my tanks. I think this one also caught your eye too!
Jim

ReefQuest
01/28/2002, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Jim! We really like 'Gilmore' also (happy as a clam...Happy Gilmore - very cheesy I know!) Anyway, it is nice to hear your advice on how to be successfull w/baby clams!

Chris

jim norris
01/28/2002, 08:56 PM
Chris,
Gilmore great name!
I do baby sitting!
Jim

nanoreefboy
01/28/2002, 08:59 PM
For all you who directly feed your babies, what size container do you put them in and how much DT's do you feed the baby?
Thanks

jim norris
01/28/2002, 09:05 PM
I have a small clear hard plastic container about 3 inches wide by 6 inches tall by 8 inches long I add just enought DTs to turn the water slightly green. In about 30 mins. the water will be clear again. Sometimes I do this to my big guys (6 inches to 12 inches) but only once in awhile. With a larger container.
Jim

toptank
01/28/2002, 09:08 PM
Jim that is about what I have been doing, but the problem I have it trying to keep the water from getting to cool for them. I do use my tank water.

Barry

You got mail :)

jim norris
01/28/2002, 09:20 PM
Barry,
I also use the exact tank water their in. My hoods can be opened like a car hood, so then I prop then up. I then just place the container on the center brace.
Go into the clam section here I posted in your tread a baby max that is turning colors on me!
Jim

npaden
01/28/2002, 09:58 PM
WOW chris!

That is one beautiful clam!!

FWIW, Nathan

toptank
01/28/2002, 10:24 PM
Yes Jim I saw that :) hmmmm is that the baby you are sending :) LOL I'LL TAKE IT .

Barry

I sent you something a few minutes ago that hopefully can help you.

nanoreefboy
01/29/2002, 04:23 AM
This thread has made me so happy.

In all I have purchased two baby 1.5"- 2"clams, one crotea and one maxima, both which live for about 2 months each. Both after that died. I was puzzled because they showed great extension, no snails and both attached. I tested water everything top notch. Never did I know, even though I should have, know they needed to be directly fed. Jim you are a lifesaver, which flavor I don't know but you are!

jim norris
01/29/2002, 05:59 PM
Nanoreefboy,
Thanks for the very kind words!
Jim

Reef-lite
01/29/2002, 06:16 PM
Do you guys have the clams attached to small pieces of rock? Is that how you are able to take them out of the water to feed them?

jim norris
01/29/2002, 06:23 PM
The clams in my two main tanks YES. The clams in my grow out tank no. I do not let them attach.
Jim

toptank
01/29/2002, 06:41 PM
Jim , I have been re-thinking about doing something different so I wanted to run it by you. In the past I have placed some of my clams up into the rock to attach but no am thinking about letting them attach to some rubble first then place it in the LR so in case you had to move things around he wouldn't be attached to a large piece of rock. I did this with my last clam.

What do you think.

Barry

jim norris
01/29/2002, 06:53 PM
Barry,
I think we getting there. Let me take it one step further. I learned from someone-somewhere that a piece of tile cut so the clam will sit on it makes a good support. ????
Jim

toptank
01/29/2002, 07:18 PM
Jim, what I did this last time was place the clam on a piece of shell and when he attached I then place him/her in the LR. I have to move things around now and then due to SPS growing or just have to replace for better conditions. It sure make it easier to move the clam other than taking a chance on breaking off his foot.

Barry