PDA

View Full Version : Frag Demo Volunteers at Meeting 8

firefish2020
05/12/2005, 11:02 AM
<center><font size="1" color="blue">
<b><h1>WANTED:</h1></b>

Anyone LOCAL that will be at the next meeting who is willing to donate corals for a frag demo at meeting 8.

As you know the next meeting will be focused more on education, I hope to have a huge frag demo in which I can teach others to frag a variety of different corals. If you have anything that is out growing your system and are willing to donate to the cause we will frag your coral and explain how and how not to to others. This will be for educational purpose only and I encourage anyone participating to give a few of your frags away to new members, what better way to show them that CVRC members actually care about the hobby.

If you wish to donate please contact me and I will let you know what you need to do next. Keep in mind we only need one Mother colony of each kind of coral. In other words, one Torch, one colony Xenia Umbellata, etc. Mother colonies should be big enough to frag out without danger of loosing your stock.

Right now there is no need for “Xenia Elongatta� I will update the list of “filled� corals ASAP.

</font size="1" color="blue"> </center>

<b>I will also need volunteers to help with the demo volunteers speak up, I will make my final choices and let you know ASAP.</b>

Thanks,
Ron

Nathan4Wvu
05/12/2005, 12:41 PM
I will help as long as it doen't require any public speeking lol

mcox33
05/12/2005, 02:01 PM
I can help Just tell me what you need me to do.

firefish2020
05/12/2005, 07:10 PM
I need you to bring in a coral or corals for fraging. Like I said contact me for more info.

<b><h3>Corals Needed so far:</h3></b>
<b>Xenia Umbellata
Mushrooms any color will do
Sarcophyton, long tentacle and shorts
Finger leather
Green star
Torch
Hammer
</B>

Thanks,
Ron

Nathan4Wvu
05/12/2005, 08:32 PM
Just to say I am the first I would like to get 1st dibs in a *** of tourch and hammer!!! I am loving the LPS's I don't know whether your going to sell them or auction them I would like to get one of each :)

firefish2020
05/12/2005, 09:17 PM
<b>"This will be for educational purpose only and I encourage anyone participating to give a few of your frags away to new members, what better way to show them that CVRC members actually care about the hobby"</b>

Not for sale, or auction this will only be a demo and I would hope that volunteers decide to give some of their frags away or trade them to others for something they want.

essop3
05/12/2005, 10:19 PM
how big of an umbellata do you need? If you are planning on fragging it small I will give a stalk or two.

firefish2020
05/12/2005, 11:23 PM
sounds good

LowCel
05/13/2005, 06:50 AM
Ron, would it help any if I would donate a piece of green montipora digitata? I know you don't have any sps listed, not sure if it is because you don't want to do it or if it is just because you didn't think anyone would donate them.

I can also give a nice thick stalk of pom pom.

Since I can't be there I can at least help out this way. Another plus would be that if people think they have enough light they can try out a pretty hardy sps without having to empty their wallets. Just please, don't let anyone with pc's or less have any of the digitata frags.

snowstar
05/13/2005, 09:14 AM
Ron - I've got some bubble mushrooms I can bring up either that morning or I can bring them up early --- say tomorrow. I also have a large colony of galaxia and some bubbles running me out of house, home and 125 :D

The celebrity death match these corals are creating in the tank really needs to get reigned in and the 125 needs to get a bit of piece and quite - these "aggressive" LPS are taking over stinging and fighting at all hours of the night - it's just not a safe neighborhood for nice corals anymore!

Seriously let me know and I'll pick out a few pieces and bring them in for ya tomorrow when we come up. :)

Lisa

firefish2020
05/13/2005, 10:35 AM
Sounds great scratch Galxia, umbellata and mushrooms off the list. essop I would like to demo the nettig technique so just as long as there is a stalkabout 2 inches it will show up on camera better. I can also do single head if you have a Pom Pom type xenia.

<b>Still Needed:
Sarcophyton, long tentacle and shorts
Finger leather
Green star
Torch
Hammer
SPS (any branching type)
SPS (any plating)
</b>

Thanks,
Ron

essop3
05/13/2005, 04:29 PM
http://www.planetfish.com.br/corais/imagens/moles/xumbellata.jpg

That is what I have

firefish2020
05/13/2005, 06:53 PM
Thats umbellata bring it on :)
And thanks.

pappygonefishin2002
05/14/2005, 04:33 AM
About the only thing I could bring right now is about a 4 - 5" clove colony, if you want to frag it.

Aquayne_wv
05/14/2005, 06:28 AM
I can bring my digital camera and lights. We will have a dvd for future reference.

Wayne

I enjoy doing presentations. If there is a subject I can provide I would love to contribute.

firefish2020
05/14/2005, 11:47 AM
Pappy your more than welcome to bring the clove if you like.

Thanks Wayne but I have already arranged to have the demo shot by some friends of mine. We are going to include it on a CVRC Propagation disk that will be available to every single member that asks just for the price of a disk. Members that contribute to this demo will recieve a 100% free copy. It should be available at the end of the year. We have already began shooting digital ellements for the project and are pleased with what we have seen so far :)

You can however do a lecture or presentation if you like. Personally I think your skimmer or the mods you discuss on your DVD would be a great topics.

snowstar
05/14/2005, 07:26 PM
K Ron--- the galaxia, the regular bubble, the pearl or octobubble are at the shop... forgot the mushroom rock so you only have a single bubbletip mushroom from me for right now ---- I will be back up before the next meeting though and will get some up for you then. I am right in assuming that you want unattached 'shrooms - yes?

Lisa

firefish2020
05/14/2005, 09:32 PM
Unattached or attached will be fine. I heard about your adventures today LOL. Hope you enjoy the rocks, if you got the ones in the 45Lb box I tried to pick out ones I liked.

Thanks for the contribution :)
Later,
Ron

snowstar
05/15/2005, 08:59 AM
they always say what happens twice will happen 3 times --- sure enough we wound up walking through those doors 3 times.... the rock is very nice - after we finally got home we scrubbed it off and put it in 3 vats - ok 35 gallon trash cans - with pumps in aged aquarium water + some bacterblend in a couple of days we'll add some live sand and a chunk of scallop .... should cycle out fairly quickly.

Anyway back to the thread... I think you can get 4 maybe 5 frags out of the octo-bubbles/bubble and as for the galaxia it's just frag central. Honestly they were very unhappy after the ride but I think they are fine. The galaxia did have some breakage the polyps that brike off are in the sand you can do the glue thing and create a small 9 or 10 polyp piece --- whatever you want to do..

Anyway hope you have a good one. Oh and the red bubbletip we got yesterday is doing great ---- I have to go to the back of the tank and look down at the disagreeable creature - it has settled in on the back of the rock face - that may change as the day wears on but for now all you can see from the front of the tank is a few waving tenticals....

firefish2020
05/15/2005, 09:59 PM
BTAs always go to the back of the aquarium before they come out just keep an eye on it and make sure it gets some food.

snowstar
05/16/2005, 08:00 AM
The current rock stack is so open it's getting lots of flow and light- I'm sure it's getting plenty of food and when I target feed the mertensii carpet I can always go to the back of the tank and drop a chunk of scallop in it--- I feed probably way to heavily.... tangs are happy, corals are growing... so what can you do. Lots of water changes and skim like mad I guess...

wvdaisy
05/16/2005, 10:44 AM
I have a finger leather we could frag.

firefish2020
05/16/2005, 11:09 AM
Finger leather is perfect! Thanks Ć’Âş

"I feed probably way to heavily.... tangs are happy, corals are growing... so what can you do. Lots of water changes and skim like mad I guess..."

I do the same but have found a balance, I don¡¦t starve the animals, and I try not to over feed as well I think this will result in better growth of both fish and corals.

snowstar
05/16/2005, 12:14 PM
I have not found a balance yet --- not really looked for one though - I should. One of my primary concerns - haveing successfully kept the same powder blue tang for over 3 years -- with all of their well documented ick and eating disorders has been to keep very happy healthy tangs and a well fed sandbed to support the two mandarins and their quest for an all-you can eat live food buffet!

But balance is a good thing and I really should work toward it...

firefish2020
05/16/2005, 11:18 PM
"But balance is a good thing and I really should work toward it..."

Sounds as if your pretty close actually. :)