PDA

View Full Version : crabby question

Briney Dave
05/11/2005, 12:05 PM
Has anyone had luck using emerald crabs (mithrax) in the control of buble algae??

do these guys have good mannors otherwise??

I saw a dealer of emerald crabs claiming this but I don't recall
reading about a bubble algae eating crab that does not bother corals anywhere else.

Briney

Steven Pro
05/11/2005, 12:47 PM
Has anyone had luck using emerald crabs (mithrax) in the control of buble algae? Sure, they will eat bubble algae amongst other things.

do these guys have good mannors otherwise? No, they will sometimes eat small fish, corals, etc.

FINFISH
05/11/2005, 12:47 PM
I've had very good luck in a similar dillema. I bought 2 EC's then 3 more additional a couple weeks later- I had a severe problem with bubble algae (a variety of caulerpa), and now very little remains (after about 2 months). They don't seem to be aggressive, but I guess now that the food source is becoming scarce, I should keep my eyes on them.

Briney Dave
05/11/2005, 01:17 PM
Steve,
am I correct in thinking that smaller crabs would less likely bother fish or corals than a larger one??

FINFISH
05/11/2005, 01:32 PM
I have one large, two med, and two small- no problems yet.

lawdog
05/11/2005, 03:03 PM
I have 8 EC's in my 120 gallon Reef for the last year with no problems whatsoever. Very well mannered so far. And I have some smaller gobies in there that could be easily taken out if they wanted to. They just go about all day long eating stuff of the rocks, sand, etc... Just my personal experience with them. Never had bubble algae so mine haven't had to battle it.

adamwarlock13
05/11/2005, 03:49 PM
I have had emerald crabs for about a year now & have had no problems with them bothering small fish or corals. They do love the bubble algae!

Briney Dave
05/12/2005, 08:39 AM
thank you to all who have shared their experiances and opions!!