PDA

View Full Version : I need a cage

supaboy1981
05/09/2005, 01:43 AM
I know alot of you folk out here are into more than just reefs. I need a smaller cage for a cockatiel that my dad unloaded on my cause he moved to florida. I have a current cage but its way to big for my apt. Its about 5 high and 3 - 31/2 wide. we can do a straight swap or something if you want, I paid next to nothing for the cage. It also has rollers on the bottom for easier transferability

Gimme a PM if you can help me

supaboy1981
05/09/2005, 02:01 AM
THe cage I am trying to unload goes for about $100 on the net.

Its a breeder and the dimensions are

30x18x70 lemme know

Jean-yus
05/09/2005, 09:09 AM
You want 2-3x the wingspan for birds. And 3x the height...

Birds (Like fish) feel really cramped inside of the cage... if you really, REALLY dont have the room I would say just keep it...

Also it's bad to let the birds on your shoulders, it will spoil them... Also birds are visual... so if they (in the cage, or ontop) are perched higher than your head. It will actually think its better than you, and it will get a huge ego and "problems" doing whatever you WANT it to do...

You are going to have to re-train it a little, take it far way from its cage and work just teaching it to "Step up" onto ur finger. Keeping it from its cage will keep it in a not too comfortable state... so It WILL obey you.

Play with it often, and give it something to do when ur not there, or it can actually go insane (no joke). IMHO mirrors are bad... Dont get it a toy with a mirror unless you give it lots of attention, also dont put it in front of a big mirror all day.

Make sure its wings are trimmed and its talons are also trimmed, if you decide to cut the talons urself, be VERY careful, if you cut the quick (vein in the nail) it can bleed to death... Birds bleed a lot, and dont have much blood to lose...

HTH, if you have any questions p.m. me, all see if I can help ya out.

-Tim

supaboy1981
05/09/2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Jean-yus
You want 2-3x the wingspan for birds. And 3x the height...

Birds (Like fish) feel really cramped inside of the cage... if you really, REALLY dont have the room I would say just keep it...

Also it's bad to let the birds on your shoulders, it will spoil them... Also birds are visual... so if they (in the cage, or ontop) are perched higher than your head. It will actually think its better than you, and it will get a huge ego and "problems" doing whatever you WANT it to do...

You are going to have to re-train it a little, take it far way from its cage and work just teaching it to "Step up" onto ur finger. Keeping it from its cage will keep it in a not too comfortable state... so It WILL obey you.

Play with it often, and give it something to do when ur not there, or it can actually go insane (no joke). IMHO mirrors are bad... Dont get it a toy with a mirror unless you give it lots of attention, also dont put it in front of a big mirror all day.

Make sure its wings are trimmed and its talons are also trimmed, if you decide to cut the talons urself, be VERY careful, if you cut the quick (vein in the nail) it can bleed to death... Birds bleed a lot, and dont have much blood to lose...

HTH, if you have any questions p.m. me, all see if I can help ya out.

-Tim

thanks for the info tim. The cage my dad used to have it in is far more than what it needs to be. Its a breeder that I got dirt cheap. In reality this bird can handle a cage half its height. Cockatiels wingspans are only about 9 - 12 inches so the width of the cage is fine.
This bird was actually a fly away that we caught when It was attracted to another Cockatiel that we had. He is not tame at all and I am the only one able to handle him. I have tons of exp with thess sorts of birds as far as Talons clipping, and wing clippings and I know how to make him more comfortable around people. This wasnt my problem.
The problem was that the cage I have right now is to big for the apt and I know that he can be comfotable in a much smaller cage which would not only make it easier for me to train him and handle him more often it would also prevent my girlfriend from killing me cause our apt is dominated with cages and tanks.

Eventually I hope to tame him down enough so that a perch is all I need but I dont see that happening very soon as old birds are much harder to tame than younger ones are. Thanks for your help

Jean-yus
05/11/2005, 10:11 AM
you could build a cage out of fine chicken wire. I have done that for breeder cages and its worked fine... and while it wont look the best, it will work for a smaller cage until u find a better alternative.

supaboy1981
05/11/2005, 08:43 PM
forget it anyone want to buy a bird??

Jean-yus
05/11/2005, 09:22 PM
haha.

It bit u huh?

I would If I didnt have 2 already.