PDA

View Full Version : loud sucking noise from durso

yama63
05/09/2005, 12:13 AM
OK i did the modification for the drain where you put a 90 elbow to a peice of pipe and a t at the end now i have a louder noise then before? Here is how the drain is know

1 inch bulk head to
1 inch flew tubing to
1 1/4 pipe to
1 1;4 pipe to
1 1/4 t

HELP

There are too many bugs in this plumbing stuff should all this stuff be 1 inch instead of 1 1/4 ???????????????????????????

Nicholo
05/09/2005, 12:23 AM
Do you have the air hole to prevent a siphon from occurring? If so, play with the amount of air coming in, as well as the rate of return flow.

Sloth
05/09/2005, 07:53 AM
I cured my noisey drain by drilling air holes at the end of the pipe in the sump. My pipe was submerged in sump water and there was no way for air to get down into the pipe to equalize pressure all the way from the bulkhead, causing noise. I drilled a few small holes in the pipe just above the water level and cured the problem.

SoonerFan732
05/09/2005, 08:39 AM
You may already have this link:

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Click on the "build your own" item at the top of the page. It gives instructions on how to build it and some tips on fixing problems like you mention.

Sloth: What size holes did you drill on your drain line? Do you have any problems with water coming out of the holes also? I have a noise drain to the sump just like you explained and I would love to get rid of the noise.

yama63
05/09/2005, 11:08 AM
there is a hole in the pipe. It looks like the water level gets to low and the sucking is coming from street eles opening.

SoonerFan732
05/09/2005, 11:15 AM
Sounds to me like perhaps the vent hole is not large enough. If the vent hole isn't large enough it creates a suction at the opening when draining. When I first made mine I had to drill the hole with several sizes of drill bits until I found the right size hole that prevented it from drawing a siphon on the drain line.

yama63
05/09/2005, 11:21 AM
i just read this. on the web site sound just like my problem

The hole on the top of the standpipe (in the End-Cap) is very important. Without the hole, a full siphon will be created and water will be sucked out of the overflow chamber to fast. The water level will drop below the intake and you will get a terrible air sucking noise. If you drill a hole and the water level still drops to far (making a sucking noise) then the hole is to small. Just make it slightly larger (see above) and the water level will raise. If you make the hole to large then the water level will be to high. (It should not overflow the tank as it will not get that high, but keep an eye on it).

Nicholo
05/09/2005, 11:43 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by "air hole" in my post above. That should do the trick for you. Make sure you have some sort of gauge on the end of the air tubing coming from the hole so you can make fine adjustments to the amount of air coming in.

ScubaRaven
05/09/2005, 04:47 PM
great thread guys... just the information I was looking for... (thanks for the link Sooner!)

SoonerFan732
05/10/2005, 06:31 AM
No problem, that link helped me out a bunch when I made my standpipe.

Sloth
05/10/2005, 02:51 PM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The holes I drilled were small, like 1/8-inch small. I placed them on the side of the pipe that didn't have water running down it (my pipe is clear and on an angle). But even still, some water seeps out. Not really a problem, it just goes into the sump.

SoonerFan732
05/10/2005, 08:26 PM
Good deal, thanks for the tip, Sloth!