PDA

View Full Version : paging Dr Ron, Dr wolverine and any others with bio/med backrounds

aLittletank
08/14/2000, 05:02 PM
I will try to make this brief.

I had the palm of my hand lanced 2 weeks ago. either that day or the next I saw something in my reef that made me panic and stick my had right in there to fix things.

fast forward 3-5 days two small circles appear on my face. I went to the doctor as soon as I could (read 3 days later) by that time the "ring worm like fungus" as he called it had spread across my face and neck. the doctor wanted to have my liver checked out before giving me the Meds he wanted, so he prescribed a 3 day antibiotic and cream. liver test were good so I have now been put on the strong stuff (more scientific name to follow if needed)

my doctor claims "you could have gotten it anywhere " but I have only been to work and home for the last 2 months (read no life )

Dr Ron could my reef tank contain said fungus and transmit it through my open wound ?

Dr wolverine should I be concerned that
1. this crud has spread so far?
2. my doctor cant identify it
3. I am on meds that require a liver test

Man I have been in the worst health since i quit smoking :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input
Allen

PS any others with any knowledge of this are welcome

rshimek
08/14/2000, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aLittletank:
Dr Ron could my reef tank contain said fungus and transmit it through my open wound ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know of this specifically happening, but I certainly won't rule it out. Many terrestrial fungi live well in marine systems (it appears, for example, that some Caribbean soft coral mortality seen over the last few years is attributable to Saharan fungi blowing over the Atlantic on dust). I am sure there are many marine organisms - bacteria and fungi - which may infect you through an open wound.

However, I think ring-worm-like stuff is more likely contracted from contact with mammals. I got a case about 35 years ago from a deer that I shot and skinned.

You could have potentially gotten it by petting a dog or cat or neighbor's kid...

------------------
Cheers, Ron

"Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature, humidity, and other variables, the organism will do as it damn well pleases." Anon.

[This message has been edited by rshimek (edited 08-14-2000).]

bigben
08/14/2000, 11:44 PM
Marine biology is not my forte, but having been immersed in the pathogenesis of infectious disease for so long, I would strongly doubt that what you have is anaquarium-related fungal infection. If you were to get sometehing through a cut on your hand, it most likely would have become invasive, been dealt with by the immune system, and caused some local inflammation==not spread on the surface of the skin on your face. However, I do believe there's a strong chance that you picked a fungus ON your hands and spread it to your face by casual contact. Just my thoughts,

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

Dave
08/15/2000, 06:55 PM
Alittletank im also still smoke free and my back went out and I needed an operation.
I wonder if we were better of smoking :D
Good luck!
Dave

Aquaman
08/15/2000, 07:56 PM
Alittletank,

If this fungus is infact ringworm, it will itch like crazy, which helps it spread.

There are many items you might have around the house that will work wonders on it.

Any female yeast infection cream will work, athlete's foot cream or spray, apple cider vinager and antibacteral dish soap mixed half and half for 24 hours will work very well.

Reason I know this, My wife breeds pure bred persian cats which are known for being a ringworm carrier, We have had to deal with this problem off and on over the years both with the cats and on occation I have been infected with it as well.

Is the medicine the Doc give you called fulvicin, If so in large doses can destroy the liver, But only if taken for a long period of time. This is the medicine of choice by Vets to take care of the 16+ types of ringworm in most animals.

Wolverine
08/16/2000, 03:32 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to write in. I don't get to check as much as I used to. I agree with Bigben (I think) that it seems more likely something that you had on your hands that you then passed up to your face. I suppose something could have been passed through the cut, but usually the face isn't the first place it would go to.

As for not being able to identify it, I'm not sure if I would worry about that yet. Often we're forced to treat things making just an educated guess about what the problem is.

There are a lot of medications that they need to make sure that the liver is working fine, and that can be especially important depending on what other medications you're taking. I'm able to check my e-mail a lot more than I can come here right now, so if you e-mail me with what you're taking, and I'll let you know if it's something to worry about. I would check here, but right now our group is rotating at the VA, and there are warnings on all the computers that they're not for personal use and that they are being monitored.

Once you let me know about that, I may be able to be of more help.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

bmw
08/16/2000, 07:47 PM
alittletank,
If you are not satisfied with your advise so far email me directly.
b.

aLittletank
08/16/2000, 07:47 PM
thank you all for the input

I figured that the reef was a long shot, i just can't figure where I would have picked this nasty hitchhicker up at. no strange animals in my life for the last few months.

Ow well I will quit complaining and just keep treating with what my doctor prescribed.

Aquaman "Any female yeast infection cream will work" thanks for the tip ,but the idea of putting that all over my face is disturbing :) if the meds and cream the Doc prescribed dont kick this stuff I may try it though :D

Thanks all
Allen