PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for 75

bingo
01/24/2002, 06:11 PM
Sorry to post another protein skimmer question, but I REALLY need to upgrade my bakpak on my 75. I actually have it running on my 10 gallon sump right now, cause I upgraded my tank from a 30 w/o sump a while ago. It works this way, but it's too small and isn't the best running on a sump :-) Anyway, I've read through tons of posts on here about skimmers, and I'm considering the Myreef and the Euroreef skimmers. One question I have is if there is a good skimmer I can run outside my sump, I know the Euroreef can't do this. As I said, it's only a 10 gallon sump, and I only have 24" of height to use. Because of this, I'm wondering what the best model would be to run both in and out of my sump. I'd like to stay under $300-$350 for sure. Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

mcbaes72
01/24/2002, 06:22 PM
I suggest one of two choices:

1) Red Sea Berlin Classic... http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_redsea.asp?CartId=

2) AquaC's Urchin or EV120... http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_ac.asp?CartId=

One of these may be what you're looking for.

HTH & good luck finding your ideal skimmer.

-Michael.

bingo
01/24/2002, 06:26 PM
Are the AquaC EV models able to run outside the sump (I don't think so)? How about the Myreef? What size Myreef or Euroreef would be best for my tank? Thanks!

crab0000
01/24/2002, 06:50 PM
I have a MY REEF (I think a MR3) on my 90. I have it running outside my sump, on a shelf behind the tank. I love this skimmer, it works great. That being said I have no frame of reference. My only other real skimmer is a PM HOT1, but that is apples to oranges. If I were you I would contact Andy about your needs. He was very helpful with any questions I had and replied promptly to e-mails.
HTH Steve

mcbaes72
01/25/2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by mcbaes72
I suggest one of two choices:

1) Red Sea Berlin Classic... http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_redsea.asp?CartId=

2) AquaC's Urchin or EV120... http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ps_ac.asp?CartId=

One of these may be what you're looking for.

HTH & good luck finding your ideal skimmer.

-Michael.

Actually, the AquaC's skimmers are in-sump only. The Berlin Classic states, "Red Sea Berlin skimmer requires pump. Rio 2500 or Rio 3100 is recommended for in sump setup. Little Giant 3MDQ-SC or Iwaki 30RLT pump is recommend for for external setup. Overall height is 21".

Crab0000 also had a couple of good suggestions.

-Michael.

RHCP
01/25/2002, 11:46 AM
here is a list of skimmers that will all do a good job on your 75g. they are listed in my preference.
euroreef cs6-1, cs6-2 (great, but top dollar)
PM bullet 1 and 2
MYreef MR1 and 2
aquaC EV120
aquaC remora pro (Hang on), urchin pro(in sump)(wouldn't recomend them on a bigger tank.)
Pm hot 1 (about the limit of this skimmer)
PM-426 or 626 (more effecient skimmers on the market but decent)
red sea berlin in sump or HOT (I don't like the amount of pump these guys require to do a decent job.)

I think thats about it without overkill.

The PM hot1, berlin HOT, and remora pro are affordable hang on skimmers that will do a decent job.
All will do the job. Hope you find one that you like!

SeaMac
01/25/2002, 12:17 PM
Actually, only the AquaC Urchin/Urchin Pro must be run in the sump. The EV series can be run next to the sump, just high enough so that the output of the skimmer can flow back over the wall of your sump, unless your sump is drilled for the skimmer return.

I'm running an AquaC EV-150 on my 75g, and it does a decent job. If I could do it over again though, I would go either with an EV-180, a Euroreef or a Myreef. :)

HTH...
Chris

bingo
01/25/2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all of the replies everybody. With my tiny sump, I'll probably go with either an EV-120 or a Myreef MR-1/MR-2 and run it outside the sump. Why is it that the Myreefs use sooo much larger pumps than the AquaC models? Do they skim that much more, or is this an efficiency difference? I'd have a larger skimmer pump than my return pump with the Myreefs! It seems like I can get a little more for my money with a Myreef though. Thanks again....

GH Sniper
01/25/2002, 03:07 PM
You may want to steer away from the Red Sea Classic unless you want to add a better Kent Venturi to it. I had to learn the hard way.

The MR-1/MR-2 needs a bigger pump because it utilizes a beckett foam head (I believe). That foam head creates infinately better and smaller bubbles thus the massive pump utilized to push water throught at a high rate. I have seen other members that love this skimmer and they guy who built it was working off the DIY page on the forum. Hat's off to him for making a product that people want in thier system.

As I said, I don't have this skimmer however if I were to buy one, I would seriously consider it as my first choice.

JFish
01/25/2002, 04:15 PM
Go with an MR-1 or Mr-2 from MYREEF.

I got my MR-1 from Andy for my new 58 gallon. I don't think you would need anything more than the MR-1 for a 75 gallon. He sells them as kits too where you get the pump included at a great price.. that is what i did. When you get the skimmer you will be impressed...If I wasn't too lazy I would tak pics of it for you. One thing I didn't know though, is that you need to provide your own fitting for the pump to the injector tube and of course tubing or pvc to get the water there :)

I haven't set my skimmer up yet but I am sure I will be very pleased

chromis
01/25/2002, 04:56 PM
Turboflotor multi- for all of your foam fractioning needs:)

Wrasse Man
01/25/2002, 05:00 PM
I have an AquaC EV180 on my 75 and I love it. The only real maint. is cleaning.

bingo
01/26/2002, 03:09 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading here, and I'm curious to try a DIY skimmer too. I checked out all the plans here, but I'm wondering if anybody has another set of easy plans to follow for me. One big concern for me is how to assemble the venturi on some of the plans. I'd like to build something larger, and one that I can run outside my sump. I'm looking at this one:
http://www.krob.com/aquarium/skimmer.htm
Any other suggestions would be great. I'm no expert on this stuff, so if anybody has some good plans, I would love to see them. If I can do it, I think that I could build a great skimmer for a lot less money. Thanks again everybody...