PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Alk test kit problems anyone?

rockybound
01/24/2002, 05:08 PM
Hello!

I bought a little 7.5 gallon IFS system that has now been running and cycling for the last week. Because of the size of the tank, I've been checking water parameters daily using text kits from Salifert. In testing the Alkalinity, the all the tests I've made measured in the 12, 12.5 range. I know that this is not really much to worry about at this point in the cycle, but I brought it up to the owner of my LFS. She said that she's had some people come in and complain that they were receiving high readings from the Salifert Alk test kit as well. She tested my Alk with another kit (the name escapes me now) and it measured between 8.5 and 9. My question is this - has anyone noticed recently purchased Salifert Alk test kits giving unusually high numbers? All the other water parameters measured with Salifert tests (except for ph and SG) are fine, with the following readings:

Ammonia - 1.0
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 0
ph - 8.3
SG - 1.025
temp - averaging 77.9/day

Thanks in advance!

mcbaes72
01/24/2002, 06:16 PM
W/ Salifert Test kits, I have a few of them myself. After doing some research and reading complaints about other test kit brands, I went w/ Salifert. I would still rely on the Salifert test kit (unless it's expired). It's given me confident results.

BTW, what brand did your LFS use for their alk test?

Also, if your tank's temp. avg. 77.9 degrees a day, you may want to increase the heater a bit. An avg. of @ 80 degrees seems a bit more the norm for reefers. Just a heads up when your tank finally cycles.

-Michael.

rockybound
01/24/2002, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the response mcbeas72!

I'm not sure of the brand of Alk test kit the LFS used, but I THINK it was SeaChem or something like that. She GAVE me another alk test kit (FasTest) to see what that gave me.

So you think 80 degrees would be a better goal for the tank? I've read so many differing opinions on this, it's mind-boggling. I am trying to keep it above 78 at least - living in CO where it's about 8 degrees, it's sometimes a battle, but it's going well. Since it is a nano, I'm checking everything daily and logging it. I guess we'll see.

rlp
01/24/2002, 09:11 PM
Yes, Rockybound, I believe the salifert alk test kit I had read way too high & I switched to hagen. I responded to this same question about the accuracy of the the salifert alk test kit: www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=34098 . Perhaps a bad batch of kits?

susieQ
01/24/2002, 10:10 PM
I recently ordered some Salifert kits and couldn't find an expiration date on any of the boxes or reagents. Is this normal?

Susie

Ohhno
01/24/2002, 10:45 PM
I just recieved my test kit about a week or so ago and here is 3 of the last entries in my log :
1/16/02 1/19/02 1/21/02
Salifert 6.1 Salifert 9.3 Salifert 8.6
Lamotte 5.6 Lamotte 8.9 Lammotte 8.8
Tropic Marin 6.0 Tropic M 9 Tropic M 8

All test were recently purchased within the last 2 weeks .

Water perameters are:
Calcium 460ppm
Strontium 10mg/l
Magnesium 1290ppm
ph 8.4
sg 1.0252
temp 79
I wouldn't count on any results from hagen , seatest , fastest IMO they are junk tests !!! I would stick with salifert and verify it with lamotte , tropic marin . Tropic marin is the cheapest and you can order that from www.thatpetplace.com
Hope this helps

Odo

mcbaes72
01/25/2002, 11:17 AM
Odo,

Glad someone here had more than one brand of test kits. :)

Greg,

I'd go w/ Odo's suggestions because 3 brands of test kits were used and compared (I'm familiar only w/ Salifert & Lamotte's brand, but using Tropic Marin's brand was also recommended).

Also, I bet CO gets as low as 8 degrees. But an avg. reef tank temp. of 80 degrees (plus or minus 2) is a good range. Below 78 degrees is too low, above 82 degress is too high, IMO. Just shoot for 80 degrees. Most reefers here will agree.

Susie,

My Salifert test kits didn't have a exp. date, either (but I haven't really looked very hard). But other brands do have exp. dates on it. Since Salifert uses liquid & powdered chemicals to get their test results, IMO, the accuracy may lessen over time. So, I'd give my Salifert test kits ONE to TWO yrs. from the date of purchase before replacing any remaining test kits. Just my opinion...

-Michael.