PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Bantamman
05/05/2005, 08:26 PM
This morning I awoke to find my cleaner shrimp on top of my clam. I thought the clam was getting a cleaning, although I had not witnessed this before. When I came home tonight the clam is torn up and barely living. Any ideas?
:confused:
Pics to follow.

Bantamman
05/05/2005, 08:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/bantamman/100_0123.jpg

Atlantis Aquariums
05/05/2005, 09:19 PM
Sorry to say I have seen cleaner shrimp eat a scallop or a clam. It is rare to have happen though. Sometimes, but not always the shrimp might know when the bi valve is in trouble and go for it.

Marvin

ranceego
05/05/2005, 10:48 PM
i think what marvin was saying it the clam was already on its way out our stressed and the shrimp too the cue to feed on the remains

AQUAN8TOR
05/05/2005, 10:48 PM
I agree with marvin.....shrimp can smell the decaying tissue when a clam is going downhill before it even really looks bad. If it's getting picked on, chances are good that it's dying. Same goes for finding bristle worms in clams. 99% of the time, the worms smell the necrosis and go after the clam just like vultures circle above people stranded in the desert (I watched way too many cartoons as a child). JME that's all.

Atlantis Aquariums
05/05/2005, 11:38 PM
Sorry Greg From the picture I do not give him a day or two. I hope that is not the case. On the other hand there is not a right or a wrong in how a specimen will do.

Marvin

Bantamman
05/06/2005, 05:51 AM
Thanks for responding everyone. The clam is looking really bad this morning. I think it's gone.

prop-frags
05/09/2005, 12:45 PM
:(
Sorry to see that - it looked like such a beautiful animal.
Any idea what caused the problem? Did your system undergo any significant change or event recently?