PDA

View Full Version : Plants/macro algaes in Florida?

kampkomfort
01/24/2002, 01:22 AM
I might be going to Destin, FL in a few month, so I started to et curious. Destin is in the panhandle near Pensacola. Do you think there are any plants or macro algaes from that water that would be good for nutrient export in a tank? Or maybe just nice looking?

Also, what else could I get from this area? Would live sand be worth grabbing? Any livestock? I've never been there, so I'm just thinking of ideas to add diversity to my tank.

Thanks!
k

Dolf
01/24/2002, 07:16 AM
Please pardon my ignorance but I hardly know the geography of my province, let alone a state across the continent from myself. If Destin is near Tampa Bay you may consider a stop there. Here is a quote from a fellow who goes by jfatherree on this board. "Tampa is a big town but I have yet to get anyone to take any frags off my hands (if you know of someone that will please let me know). So here comes the bad part - there have been times when something had to be "trimmed" and had to just toss it in the trash." You may wish to get hold of him if you will be in town.

-Danny

piercho
01/24/2002, 11:25 AM
Directions to Tampa Bay Saltwater: http://www.tbsaltwater.com/directions.html
Directions to Sea Critters in Dover, FL: http://www.petsforum.com/seacritters/Default.html Both are live rock aquaculture companies. You should find everything you want there (including plant encrusted rock) and won't run the risk of iritating any FL fish & game officials by doing your own collecting.

kampkomfort
01/24/2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I think Tampa Bay is several hours away from Destin, but they do have a nice website with cool live rock. I think I'll just look for a LFS in Destin to see what they have.

-k

deepreeftank
01/24/2002, 08:58 PM
evidently you dont know where destin is its in the panhandle... tampa bay is all teh way 4 hours away from there other ends of state....

frogspawn
01/25/2002, 10:03 AM
There are 2 nice SW stores in Pensacola-that I know of. One is Watereworld and the other is Aquaworld (or maybe Aquaworks). Anyway, do a search from yahoo/yellowpages to get directions. There is also supposed to be a nice one in Ft. Walton on Mary Ester drive across from the mall. I haven't been there yet but it was highly recommended by a reefer from there. There are also a couple of stores in Panama City that are worth stopping by.