PDA

View Full Version : Maze Brain Recession

waldend
05/03/2005, 07:11 PM
I purchased a Maze Brain from Premium Aquatics last Fri that had been nipped by a trigger pretty bad. It looks ok where there is tissue left, but it was loose on the edges and about 1/4" or so receded over the weekend. The flesh looks good along the edges it is just loose hanging there. I read on an old post on RC to put superglue along the edges to help stop the recession of the tissue. I did this tonight and hope it will work. My main concern was if I did it correctly and if there is anything else beneficial to try. I got it cheap because it was already half gone but it looks nice and I would like to save it if I can. I have attached a couple of pics where you can see the glue job. I did it along the front and back edges and over a hole on the right side as you can see in the pic. Any additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74065maze1.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74065maze2.JPG

anathema
05/03/2005, 08:04 PM
Good luck. I would blow off the receding tissue witha baster gently and often. Keep it under decent intermittent current and hope.

anathema
05/05/2005, 07:05 PM
Any update?

Narkon
05/05/2005, 09:12 PM
update please.

waldend
05/05/2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry about the delayed update. The tissue has continued to slowly recede. It is now about 1/8" or so away from the superglue. I guess I am at a loss of what to do to stop this. I guess brains are very tough to keep. Is there any way to stop the tissue from receding once it starts or is it just hopeless? I guess from this experience and what I have read they just seem very fragile. If anyone has further recommendations or can give some opinions on brains like this I would like to hear them. Thanks for the help!

Blastomussaman
05/06/2005, 01:59 AM
Well, the necrotic tissues are decomposing your brain. If you don't stop the infection, it will slowly but surely take out the whole brain.

You can try some iodine dip w/tank water but do not overdose! Iodine is toxic. And to be safe, dip only areas that are receeding.

Or if you want drastic measures, frag it. Cut off any and all necrotic tissues with the skeleton to stop the spread. Normally laminar flow is not good for them, but in this case, put some flow to where it's cut.

waldend
05/06/2005, 09:13 PM
The dip is in progress as I type. Do you have to dip them again after a certain period or is one usually enough? I will give an update early next week to see how it is responding. Thanks for all the help.

Daniel

Blastomussaman
05/07/2005, 12:53 AM
If it continues to recede, dip it again. Btw, before you dip the necrotic areas, you can brush it off first.

waldend
05/09/2005, 08:44 PM
UPDATE: The receding of the flesh seems to have stopped. There is one small area I am keeping an eye on. I have fed it heavily the last few nights and it has ate it all. I have used formula one ground up and I place it covering the brain using a large eye dropper. I assume this will not be a good food to continue but its all I have that is about the correct size at the time. How nutritional is frozen brine? What do you guys typically feed a coral of this size? I also have some coralife Gourmet Gumbo I can use but I think that it is more for filter feeders. Thanks for the help anathema and especially Blastomussaman!

Daniel

Blastomussaman
05/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Good to hear. It's good that it's feeding but don't overdo it. :)

Brains will take any finely chopped seafood and zooplankton. Don't feed big chunks of food to it. Weekly feedings will suffice.

Feeding brine is like feeding them Oreos. But hey, it's eating and that's all it matters! Pour some beer in the tank to celebrate! j/k! :D