PDA

View Full Version : fish

canes17
05/03/2005, 11:05 AM
Next week I will be purchasing fish for my tank. I have a 38 gallon tank. I was wondering how many fish should I buy for my tank and does anyone have suggestions of what types of fish.

MORAY
05/03/2005, 11:16 AM
Buy or borrow Scott Michael's book on fish. He has really good information on how hardy fish are and if they are reef compatible or not.

Beyond that, add fish slowly and start with hardy fish. You should stay with small fish and keep your number low. If I were you I would only get a couple to start and keep it there for a couple months. Probably best not to go over 4 small fish. Algae blennies are a good fish to have for algae control and are pretty small without really requiring feeding. Check their hardiness though because I'm not sure how hardy they are.

cschweitzer
05/03/2005, 12:26 PM
My view on it, always start with damsels. They are small, hearty fish and a good indicator for trouble. The best part about them is that they are about $3 a piece in comparison to others which can be a much more expensive test subject. Don't go buy a $50 fish unless you have money to waste. I'm not saying anything is wrong with your tank, you just don't want to find out the hard way. 4 of my original 6 damsels are still alive and well and my black domino damsels are about three times the size of my clowns right now.

canes17
05/03/2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah I have had damsel before the problem is with them is that if later I want to add more fish Damsels become very territorial

TigerWoods
05/03/2005, 12:51 PM
Try Chromis

http://www.terrain.org/columns/12/images/chromis.jpg

They are generally inexpensive and the least aggressive of the damsels.

38g may be too small for tangs so try to avoid them. They will outgrow the tank,

It is a good time to decide if you want clownfish. I have had some tuff experiences with them and if you decide you want 2 in the tank its a good idea to go with a true percula pair. Also add the clowns last since they are very territorial.

http://slojmnsreef.homestead.com/files/Percula_pair_1101_small.jpg

You could also get a goby, blenny, or a wrasse. Let us know how it goes.

scottywags
05/03/2005, 01:05 PM
Try and stay away from the bicolor blenny if you are going to keep SPS, they like to nibble!
Ask me how I know this.

TigerWoods
05/03/2005, 01:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/stanton4/misc120.jpg

Scotty check this out! This bicolor blenny is Sugar Magnolia's it earned its keep by catching this gorilla crab. If you still have it I'll take it.

scottywags
05/03/2005, 02:00 PM
LOL, I caught the little guy and got my $8 credit!
Nice pic though

MORAY
05/03/2005, 02:22 PM
Chromis are a good choice although they like to be in bigger groups. But, they aren't the problem fish that damsels can be. Dottybacks can also be pretty aggressive.

A really cool little fish are firefish (purple and red), but they hide a lot when you first get them. Probably not the hardiest fish.

I'm a big tang fan but your tank is too small long term. You could get a small one with plans of increasing tank size. The yellow don't grow very quickly and are reasonably priced. I've had my yellow for 4 years now and it's still not very big.

Do you have any shrimp? Skunk cleaner shrimp in pairs are a great addition to a tank and will provide live food to your tank and a monthly basis.

cschweitzer
05/03/2005, 02:27 PM
Percula clowns are nice, but I like my saddlebacks. They are awesome and they have not so much as even agitated my black domino damsels. Black dominos are mean, big, territorial damsels and have done some damage to new fish and shrimp that come into the habitat. They are getting huge!!! They haven't messed with my clowns, though(thankfully). Stick with the smaller types of damsels and you should be okay. The blue damsel is the least aggresive of all my damsels and are about $3 each. Cheap and easy water tester(after all the parameters are in check, of course). Are you using RO water for your setup? If not, I highly recommend it. Seems to keep things alive longer, especially when you start putting in your inverts. They don't do well with heavy metals in our tap water. If you can get peppermint shrimp for a cheap price, they are one of the best indicators. They will die quickly if any parameters are not right, and they can also be purchased for about $3 a piece if you know where to look(not in an LFS, cheaper online if you find people purchasing a bulk order). I might be doing another bulk order here in the next couple months if you needed anything.

scottywags
05/03/2005, 03:53 PM
Chromis are def. a good choice, but you gotta buy 10 to get 4 to live! Or maybe my params are off! LOL

Reef05
05/03/2005, 04:11 PM
Gobies are goog one

taketz
05/03/2005, 04:45 PM
Four-line or six-line wrasse is a nice choice for a 38 gallon tank. While they aren't very large fish, the fact they never stop moving gives them a bigger tank presence.

~

waterfaller1
05/04/2005, 05:46 AM
A yellow watchman would be a nice bottom dweller,along with a rainsford goby{for algae and they stay small}.along with a pair of true perculas or oscellaris clowns.I think that would be a nice set-up.Or..swap out the watchman for a yellow or blue assessor,nice active fish...very beautiful.Or either a royal gramma...good hardy fish..sometimes a bit aggressive,or a freidmani psuedochromis..nice fish..gorgeous color.The royal gramma..and clowns being the hardiest of these choices..and a good place to start.Do not buy damsels..or chromis{also really damsels} they are wicked fish...even chromis,they may start out schooling when young,but as they age will pick each other off until there is only one.A lawnmower blenny or flame hawkfish are also awesome fish..IMO they have the most personality.People say flames' will eat shrimp...mine does'nt and lives with 4 shrimp..even tiny ones.Any fish you decide to keep really depends on your eventual plans for your tank...will this be a reef,or a fish only tank?How much live rock will it have?If fish only it opens the possibilities for other awesome fish..which are not reef safe.A couple good choices here would be one of the centropyge angels..like a flame or coral beauty...I would'nt recommend them in a young tank though,I would add them last,after the tank is well established..10 months would be good,and they need plenty of LR on which to feed.Please do not put a tang in a 38 gallon tank..even when small tangs need swimming space.:(
Carole

Jovreefer
05/04/2005, 03:42 PM
You really have to decide for yourself what you want in your tank.

Like everyone else said...add them slowly over a few months, not all at once. But dedice all the fish you want ahead of time.

If you want a fire fish...I'd add them first...they will have time to acclimate and get use to the tank and also stake out their territory. Fire fish are known jumpers...I think even more so in smaller tanks so if he's added first he wont really have a reason to get scared and jump.

I'd also not go with cromis or damsels...both yucky fish IMO. If you dont want firefish I'd add a pair of Clowns first. The tank raised false percula (nemo) fish are just as hardy as damsels and cromis and a great fish to cycle the tank with.

I would add any agressive fish last. And only have 4-5 fish MAX depending on the size of the fish.

My personal stock in that size tank in introduction order would be.... 2 Clownfish, one sixline wrasse, a pigmy angle (even though they are hit and miss with corals and clams, I've never had a problem.) And MAYBE a algea blenny or rainfords goby 5-6 months after.

cschweitzer
05/04/2005, 07:35 PM
I always add cheap fish before I start putting $20 fish in first. When you see that they live and do well, then trade them in to a pet store...even if you give them away, $10 up front is worth saving hundreds. I'm not saying keep them forever, just to make sure everything is in grand pecking order.