PDA

View Full Version : coral placement advice

eastonreef
05/01/2005, 04:37 PM
i have several frags i will be attaching to my live rock.. i have frogspawn, hammer, candy cane, kenya tree and sun polyps,,, i also have an anemone that has stayed in the same location for about 8 months...what i want to know is how much room do i need to leave between them,, do the hammer and frogspawn sting other corals? how close is too close? will they sting the anemone?

any pics of how other tanks are arranged would be great.... especially any corner tanks

thanks

Steve Ho
05/02/2005, 06:51 AM
The frogspawn and hammer (and the candycane to a lesser degree) pack a nasty sting and also sometimes produce long sweeper tentacles. The sun coral is "mostly harmless":D and I'm not really sure about the kenya tree.

I've heard that hammer and frogspawn can be placed right next to each other, even touching, with no ill effects. They are both genus Euphyllia and supposedly won't sting each other. I'd put those two a minimum of 5" away from any other corals, at least at first, to be safe. If they don't sweep after several days to weeks than it may be safe to move stuff a little closer to them. I think it depends a lot on your tank flow patterns if the Euphyllia will produce sweepers (higher, more laminar flow=sweepers). Personally, my frogspawn has never had sweepers. HTH