PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough water flow for a 110gal

swiseman
05/01/2005, 02:04 PM
I was doing a freshwater run on my new system when the pump died. Thank god I tested it before transferring everything. Anyway, I have a 110 gal drilled with two 1.5" bulkheads. One is for the durso standpipe the other for return. The sump is a 33 gal split into three compartments, skimmer-return pump-refuge. The return pump is a QuietOne 4000HH that is rated for 980gph. I have a straight return using the 1/2" return from the pump over the top of the overflow where it splits to each side of the tank. There are two LocLine 1/2" outlets on each side to return the flow.

The problem I have is that before the pump died, there simply was not the velocity of water movement I was expecting. Is the pump simply not powerful enough to provide adequate movement through the tank. I will try to post some pictures.

swiseman
05/01/2005, 02:32 PM
Here are some images. Ignore the garden hose, I was in the process of draining the tank and sump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61704113_1364.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61704113_1365.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61704113_1366.JPG

swiseman
05/01/2005, 02:58 PM
Here is one more shot with the canopy on.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/61704113_1367.JPG

sediener
05/01/2005, 03:43 PM
after loss from head pressure you are looking at 200 gph through each nozel at most... might want to consider a bigger pump

you also might want to move up to 3/4" or 1" plumbing. 1/2" cannot handle much flow.

- steve

samsfishnchips
05/01/2005, 03:54 PM
so what are you thinking on keeping there :)

thats the first question, them make sure to think out the amount of water you would want (need) and them take that into account, the more water you move creats some issues like more noise, create micro bubbles issues, run a hot pump, if pump dies whats in store for a back up, noise from the pump, and finaly electricity...and so on

make sure to think things through, before actually buying stuff, thats were you lose so much money, and time, and good luck

sam

swiseman
05/01/2005, 05:05 PM
Nunez1980, there has been no shortage of planning for this tank over the past few years. This tank will combine my 54 and 33 gal reefs. These are mixed reefs softies, LPS, and basid SPS. There are also Hecteractis Magnifica anenome and a Hecteractis Malu anenomes and their respective clowns. These anenomes both require good direct flow. The assumption on the purchase of this pump was to turn the water over in the main tank 10 times per hour. Even after headloss I calculated around 880GPH which after rock and sand displacement turn it more than ten times. I used 1/2" PVC and LocLine on the return lines because the output on the pump was 1/2". It just does not seem that much water is coming out of each return nozzle.

swiseman
05/01/2005, 09:15 PM
bump

SHARKSRME
05/01/2005, 09:29 PM
I would probably go with a better pump such as a small iwaki. Make sure you have atleast a couple of powerheads in the tank too, in the chance the return pump fails. Iwakis have a remarkable record though, so unless its a power outage I doubt it would fail.

Horace
05/01/2005, 10:50 PM
Personally I dont think you should use your return pump to get your cirulation. However, the pump you have is sufficient and a decent amount of flow through your sump. My suggestion would be to get a much larger pump and use it for a CLS (Closed Loop System) that draws water directly from your tank, either though a drilled bulkhead (preferred) or by a HOB intake. This way you can have huge amounts of flow in your tank without worrying about a noisey overflow and you wont decrease the efficiency of your sumps ability to remove nutrients from the water (sumps work best with slow moving water).

HTH

-Kurt

Horace
05/01/2005, 10:54 PM
Oh a side note... it has been recommended that for SPS corals you should have about 30 times turn over, not 10. For a 75 gal you would need roughly 3 - 4 nozzles (seems you have 4 already) and each nozzle running at atleast 300-500gph. So add that up and your looking at about 1200 gph min and max of about 2000 flow (this needs to be actual flow considering head loss, your pump rated at ~900gph is not working anywhere near that @4' of head loss)

swiseman
05/02/2005, 06:39 AM
Thats great advice Horace. I think I will have the tank drilled for a closed loop and get another pump. It is easier to do it right before it is set up than to struggle with it later. The tank is 110 gallons and is 60"long x 24"tall x 18"wide. If I use the same bulkhead and pump to just return the water from the sump, how many holes will I need for a closed loop as well as what size should they be to accomodate a bulkhead. Lastly, where should they be located. I plan on doing two stacks of live rock on each side with a valley in the middle for clams and LPS. I also have a large Ritteri Anenome that requires strong direct current and high placement.

Thanks

Horace
05/02/2005, 09:15 AM
I am not sure exactly what size you should use for the bulkhead(s). However the larger the better most likely. If your willing to take the risk of drilling I would go with 2 of them. Ask aroud bout what size people are using. I personally dont think I will be drilling my tank. I am pretty scared of cracking it :(. I will probably put a HOB intake, athough not quite as nice looking it is safe. As far as placement, you only need it deep enough to avoid sucking air, though i see many put them about Mid-level in thier tank. You dont have to worry about siphon because it is a CLS so placement isnt a huge issue. I would consider where to put it more of how you can hide it.

Horace
05/02/2005, 09:19 AM
Oh and because your tank is a 110 not a 75 (not sure where I got that, pehaps because mine is a 75 =P) you might even want to lean more on the high end and perhaps a tad over 2000gph, I might even go 2500gph

kyzmyss1
05/02/2005, 09:47 AM
I agree a larger pump might be necessary. I have a 110 with majority SPS and some LPS. I am using a Dolphin 3k with adequate flow for SPS and enough "quieter" spots for my LPS desiring less flow....Just my experience...

The Grim Reefer
05/02/2005, 01:46 PM
Take a look at the Tunze or wave2K wave makers. Could be nice in that set up.