PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Lifeguard Scratch Remover

pooreefer
01/23/2002, 01:04 AM
What kind of sand papers are they? Can I get the same grades at Home Depot? I think it would be much cheaper at HD.

undrwata
01/23/2002, 01:17 AM
what is this a wet/dry paper of 5000, I'd like to know too.

Mustang
01/23/2002, 07:56 AM
I don't have my kit handy but I believe it goes from 1000 grit to 5000 I think I know that the 5000 seems like paper you wouldn't think it it would sand anything

I would sugest you buy the kit even if you can find the right grit size you would have to buy full sheets I would guess $5 each s I believe the kit has 7 diffrent grits working it way down
the kit is $20 and it just enought to do what you need

It also come in a nice case for later use and the final polish

So unless you need to do allot of sanding I would just get it

KenT
01/23/2002, 08:13 AM
It goes from 5000 to 12000 grit. Does not remove deep scratches and is VERY labor intensive.

undrwata
01/23/2002, 12:11 PM
Where do you get this kit?

newbie1
01/23/2002, 12:24 PM
www.thatpetplace.com
search for rainbow acrylic

Purple Reef
01/23/2002, 02:36 PM
The scratch removal kit goes from 5000 to 12000 using 10 different papares. You could probably find the same kind of sand paper where ever Auto Body equipment is sold. This high numbers are used on car paint jobs.

Tip: I have a custome made Acrylic tank 30" high and rocks falling and cleaning with plastic spatulas that got sandy have put some nasty scratches on it in the past. What I do is I use my floating/cleaning magnet and put the sand papers in the correct order on the inside magnet (usually I use a pies of sponge material for cleaning purpuses):p This way I sand away some pretty deap scratches from the outside and keep dry. I can tell you it works BUT it is VERY labore intensive......:rolleyes: My tank took me about 8 hours to do. I will probably have to re do it in a couple of months, I cant stand the "Hair Line Scratches" that come from cleaning off the coraline algae.:mad:

Fasciatus
01/23/2002, 03:05 PM
Dumb question...

Do you have to drain the tank to do it, or do you do it underwater with the system on line?

Please describe.

newbie1
01/23/2002, 03:14 PM
You use the sandpaper under the water line.
It is wet dry sandpaper.
You don't use the liquid paste, that is for the outside or when tank is dry.
I can get the scatches out, but it looks hazy after I do it in the
area I sandpaper, any tips for me to get it clear?

Purple Reef
01/23/2002, 05:49 PM
THE TRICK IS TO MAKE SURE EVERY STEP (OR LEVEL OF SAND PAPER) IS PASSED EVENLY AND AND TO THE POINT WERE THE SAND PAPER IS NO LONGER SANDING THE ACRYLIC. SO THIS IS WHY EACH STEP COULD TAKE 45 MIN. EASILLY. :o IF YOU DO NOT SAND EACH LEVEL TO ITS MAX THEN THE NEST LEVEL (WHICH IS THINNER) WILL NOT TAKE OUT THE LEVEL OF SCRATCHES (AT THIS POIN PUT THERE BY SANDING). CONCLUTION, EVERY STEP HAS TO BE WELL DONE IN ORDER TO SEE THE END RESULTS....:smokin:

TIP; MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OFF ANY AND ALL SCRATCHES IN THE FIRST 2 STEPS (I'VE DONE SOME RATHER DEEP ONES) BECAUSE THE REST IS TO BRING BACK THE SMOTHNESS OF THE ACRYLIC NOT TO TAKE OFF SCRATCHES:D :D :D :D

ACRYLIC IS BEATIFULL AND LIGHT, BUT VERY HIGH MAINTENECE:thumbsup: :fun1:

pooreefer
01/23/2002, 07:07 PM
What are the two little happy faces at the bottom doing?

Purple Reef
01/24/2002, 08:45 AM
The two little faces well lets say Maintenece, like an acrylic tank high maintenece.:p

TIP; When taking the scratches out of the acrylic keep the water pump and the power heads on. This will help in removing the acrylic pouder which will now be in the water. In my experience you can even see the pouder and it has not affected any one in the tank... :hmm5:

Purple Reef
01/24/2002, 08:53 AM
My bad, I meant the pouder is not visibel and it has never affected any one in the tank..:D