PDA

View Full Version : Home a/c

Damn Yankee
04/30/2005, 09:10 PM
I think my homes a/c is going fast,anyone from the club know how to fix them?:confused:

Velcroflyer
04/30/2005, 09:16 PM
Mike4271 has a friend that does A/C. I think his name is Tom and he is real reasonable.

Lutefisk
05/01/2005, 06:05 AM
Can you describe what is happening?

Blowing hot air?
Not blowing any air into the house at all?
Are the coils in the air handler (the thing in your garage) freezing solid?
Is the compressor running? The outside unit has both a fan and a compressor you'll obviously be able to tell if the fan is running. The compressor has a different sound. You've probably heard this sound with a chiller or refrigerator.
Does the AC turn on at all?
There are probably two thin copper tubes connecting the air handler (inside) with the compressor/heat-exchanger (outside). is one of them cold?

Paul

Damn Yankee
05/01/2005, 12:58 PM
I placed a new capacitor and switch in the system and the compressor sounds like it wants to kick in ,just not enough juice. I bought a booster capacitor and it kicked in. I'm afriad to turn the system off for fear it won't start again. Its 12 years old, but when it runs it runs good. I'm thinking if I buy another compressor but don't know who or how much it will cost to install:(

Lutefisk
05/01/2005, 01:45 PM
I recently had a compressor replaced and labor was less than $400 including some misc parts. The compressor itself was covered under warranty.

I understand about not wanting to turn it off ...

I'm going to guess that there are two branches to this problem tree:

1) The compressor is going to completely die in a very short period of time. Whatever is causing it to require more current on start up is terminal.

2) The compressor will run a long time with the booster or hardstart kit. I had a compressor run 5 years with one.

The good news is that if it does go out soon it isn't anywhere as hot as it will be in August.

Paul

Damn Yankee
05/01/2005, 07:51 PM
Iwish it be number 2

Lutefisk
05/01/2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Damn Yankee
Iwish it be number 2

Only one way to find out ...