PDA

View Full Version : need to increase Mg

Micki
04/30/2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Randy, my Mg iss a little low. 1230. Also my Ca is about 370-380 and KH 7.8. From what I understand until I get the Mg stable the rest won't become stable. So, I would like to use Epson Salt. Is this what you would suggest? I used the reef chemistry calculator and it said I should use 634.8 grams to raise to 1330. Is there a grams to oz. tsp something calculator?
Also, I am going to dose Lime water for the CA. Can I do this all at the same time, should i wat day inbetween etc? I was going to use baking soda for the alk, but I think I will wait for the other two fisrt.

Tank is a 125, 40gal. sump (not completely full) and 10 gal. fuge.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/30/2005, 04:08 PM
1230 ppm Mg++ is not bad. I usually recommend 1250-1350. :) Yours is not low enough to cause issues with calcium and alkalinity.

Since you do not need much, Epsom salts is a fine way to go. I'd just base the Epsom salts measurement on a fraction of the original container it came in. Measurement is not very critical.

You can be dosing limewater at the same time.

Micki
04/30/2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks...
I've never done the epsom salt thing. How much is good to start out with?

also, I've never done the lime water in thie tank. How much is good to start out with as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/01/2005, 07:21 AM
This calculator shows how much Epsom salts to use:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Just dissolve it in fresh water and add it over a minute or so into a high flow area (for this size dose). Preferably in a sump. You can do it in one dose, or spread it out over 2-3.

also, I've never done the lime water in thie tank. How much is good to start out with as well?

Most folks put it into their top off water. This article has details:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Micki
05/01/2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks Randy, I think I worded that statement wrong. I have done the lime water top off with my 55 gallon tank. You helped me come up with the correct dosing for that. I have never done the lime water in this 125 tank. That is what I needed the dosing amount for. I think I'll get some kent liquid CA to bring the level up, but I'm not sure what I will need to dose lime water to keep it up. Is there a good way to figure out? For now I will be using the home made 1 gallon jug that I used on my 55.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/01/2005, 02:33 PM
Is there a good way to figure out?

Trial and error. Start at 1 level teaspoon per gallon of top off water to replace evaporated water, and scale up or down from there based on changes in alkalinity.

Micki
05/01/2005, 04:00 PM
Ok, thanks Randy...

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/01/2005, 04:22 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)