PDA

View Full Version : green stuff on my rocks

canes17
04/30/2005, 08:54 AM
My rocks are getting green coloring all over them I do water changes evry 2 weeks. My water parameters are right on.

waterfaller1
04/30/2005, 09:23 AM
Many questions for you:
How old is this tank,how big,how much bio-load,what type of water do you use,what type of lighting,reef or FO??????Post ALL water parameters.Especially phosphate.Do you run a skimmer,have a sump,what type of filtration???How much cleaning crew do you have?What type?

canes17
04/30/2005, 09:30 AM
wow thats alot the tank is about 3 months old have 65 lbs of LR its is a 38 gallon tank. I have in there some Xenia's some Digi. some mushrooms and an orange cap. I have a serpent star some snails and hermit crabs as my clean up crew. its about 25 snails and 25 crabs. My ammonia is 0. Nitrate 8.25 Nitrite 0.25 and PH 8.0

waterfaller1
04/30/2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by canes17
Nitrate 8.25 Nitrite 0.25 and PH 8.0 The nitrite and nitrate should both be 0.PH should be at 8.2-8.3.Your tank is still young..so some of the green algae is normal..but it should begin to ease up if you are doing your water changes,using RO/DI water.How many fish??How often and how much are you feeding them?

canes17
04/30/2005, 08:26 PM
I have no fish in there right now I am waiting for the parameters to be right

Damn Yankee
04/30/2005, 09:00 PM
If no fish,then no ammonia,no ammonia then no nitrites. Where does the nitrates come in ?

waterfaller1
05/01/2005, 05:38 AM
You need to add some fish..at least one,it will help.

cschweitzer
05/01/2005, 12:04 PM
Not true on no fish no ammonia. Corals can produce waste, clean-up critters produce waste, etc. However, should not be a significant issue. Nitrates come in after the nitrites. Nitrites get oxygenated and turn into nitrates(I believe this is the chemical make-up). After this the nitrates are nearly impossible to get out of the tank without frequent water changes. PH should be higher. Also live rock and live sand can bring in ammonia/nitrites/nitrates into the tank. Sounds like it's not too out of sorts, though. Water quality does not seem that bad at all. Is the green algae growing on everything hairy? Does it look like a green coloration to the rocks or is it on the top of the rocks. Do you have any pics?