PDA

View Full Version : just bought a 175w MH retrofit, what do you think?

bradbury
04/29/2005, 01:33 AM
after stressing over the decision on lighting for my 20gal, i chose a 175w mh retrofit, with a spider reflector, icecap electric ballast, and 14,000k hamilton. i was pretty psyched when i found this one, and have not heard much about marinedepot, but this looks like this looks too good to be true. what do you guys think about these components and such?

heres a pic if it works:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ICSPK23

billyzbear
04/29/2005, 01:48 AM
I ran that 14k bulb and like some blue added.
I have heard Marinedepot is good.
If I had to start over I would look at a 250w DE pendent.

DaveC
04/29/2005, 06:09 AM
Looks like a nice light, Marinedepot is one of the larger vendors online and many use them, you should have plenty of light for your 20g tank, watch out for over heating issues, are you going to build a canopy for your retrofit light ??? at least with the retro's if you ever upgraded to say a 4 foot tank all y ou would have to do it get yourself another 175w retro...so not having to change out your entire light...I say good buy..

DaveC

sdr209
04/29/2005, 03:22 PM
I would say Marine Depot is actually one of the more reliable vendors. I think the PFOs are a bit more cheaper, and seem to be a lot more clean as far as wiring. The PFOs come in a nice case. JMO good luck

bradbury
04/29/2005, 07:27 PM
i will probably build a canopy with an open back. i am also thinking about putting an eggcrate on back to prevent jumpers.