PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on local shops

Reeferone
04/28/2005, 03:02 PM
I just moved back to Cleveland this fall and unfortunately had to leave my tank back in Boise, ID. I'm getting ready to begin a new tank and was wondering what the better shops in town are. I'm in Aurora now, probably moving to Kent soon. I thought I'd go to the source and check with locals reefers to find out who's got the best equipment, livestock, and the most knowlegable staff. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Burgman
04/28/2005, 04:07 PM
Hi,
I live in Stow next to Kent. IMHO here is the ranking:
Wet Pets Plus(Akron)-Good for fish, very little corals
Club Reef(Mogadore)-Good for just about everything
Aquatic Technology(Columbia Station)-Lots of stuff but high prices.
MDM(Parma)-never been there
Bargain Basement(East Akron)-don't waste your time unless your in the area.

That's about all the places I have visited, hope that helps.

Dave

Norm R
04/28/2005, 04:48 PM
www.saltycritter.com

Worth the drive. I'm 2 hours away, wish I was closer.

Conniereef
04/28/2005, 07:45 PM
I agree with Norm about Salty Critter. I live in Akron but make the drive to Vermilion whenever I need something major, and sometimes when I just need to see a great saltwater store.

Wet Pets is actually about 20 min. south of Akron and does have decent fish selection. Some of the staff is knowledgeable about saltwater and some aren't, so you take your chances. They have very little in the way of reef equipment.

Unlike Dave, I wouldn't waste my time with Bargain Basement unless they have changed dramatically. The owners Larry and Chris really know a lot about saltwater, but usually they are out on maintenance calls and Larry's parents are in the store. They are strictly freshwater people. I stopped in maybe last summer, and the store was so dirty and poorly stocked that I swore I would never return, and I haven't. So maybe things are better by now.
Jeff at Club Reef is great. Very knowledgeable and helpful. His store area is small but beautifully maintained.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Connie

osufarker
04/28/2005, 10:49 PM
Where is Club reef located? I am not very familiar with Mogadore. Anyone have an address?

cheelo
04/28/2005, 11:21 PM
137 seymour ave.
mogadore, oh 44260 1-866-332-6725
www.clubreefcorals.com
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Briney Dave
04/29/2005, 07:27 AM
I have been treated very well at both Salty Critter and at North Coast Aquatics in S. Amherst
(Northcoastaquatics.com) its a small shop but has good stuff and Rick (owner) has gone way out of his way to help

Welcome back too!!
regards
Briney

VoidRaven
04/29/2005, 08:13 AM
Lots of props for North Coast Aquatics in South Amherst. Rick has always taken good care of me and anyone I've ever sent his way. Great selection despite it being a small shop (though it won't be long before he needs to expand the shop!) and he's always getting new stuff in for fish and corals. Great equipment prices too.

Never been to Salty Critter (just because I've been too lazy to drive up to Vermillion...I really need to some day soon) but I have heard many good things about their selection, help, and prices.

I've never been to Club Reef's store, but I've bought from them at frag swaps...lots of nice corals to choose from every time I've seen their setup.

Aquatic Technologies is nice to look, but most of the prices are rather high and depending on the day and which workers are there, some are really helpful but some can be, well, let's just call them "unhelpful".

sabalough
04/29/2005, 09:46 AM
my #one goes to club reef. high quality fair price and honest.

my # two aquatic tech. high quality but pricy (untill club reef this is the only place I would get fish from)I try to stop by whenever im in tie aria.

my #3 wet pets the only lfs near canton. nice people, nice store, not a lot to chose from but geting beter.

I have not been to salty (I simply dont have the time to spend a whole day to go to a fish store.)
steve,

lawdog
04/29/2005, 09:47 AM
The best two shops around IMHO are SaltyCritter in Vermilion as people before have stated and MDM Aquatic in Parma www.mdmaquatic.com

Mike Meadows is a great guy to do business with. Check out the website for orders he is constantly getting in great livestock and has some of the best coral prices around. Dan at the Critter is likewise great. Great livestock in general (fish and Corals) and equipment.

sabalough
04/29/2005, 09:49 AM
If you visit club reef, canton road garden center is just a few min. away. they cary the hard to find tropical play sand.

Kustomreefer
04/29/2005, 03:30 PM
I give Salty Critter two thumbs up. Great selection, staff,service and advise. You won't be disappointed!:D :

Reeferone
04/29/2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the great input. I actually have to go out to Vermillion soon for business. I will check out SaltyCritters while I'm there. I will also make my rounds to the others as I plan my new reef. Once again, thanks for your help. Hopefully I will run into some of you while I'm out there.

mike660r
04/29/2005, 10:10 PM
I think enough has been said about all the stores. I feel they all are fair depending upon what you are looking for. There wasn't to many mentions about MDM so I'll let you know I was very impressed with the quality of his livestock. Look Mike up too some time.

mntl
04/30/2005, 09:10 PM
Salty critter is great, worth the drive.

MDM is awsome, Mike give some great deals on corals and has a good selection.

Willie_6
05/11/2005, 09:43 AM
Does MDM Aquatic have regular store hours? It looks like they are by appointment only.

mntl
05/12/2005, 02:50 PM
Just call ahead, it shouldnt be an issue when you go.

scottfarcuz
05/12/2005, 10:18 PM
Just thought I would let everyone know I stopped by saltycritter tonight to pickup a new fan and an auto top off setup for my tank and they have a ton of awesome corals in the store right now to pick from. I also noticed they had a stock tank almost full of live rock that was $3 LB!

Willie_6
05/13/2005, 08:45 AM
Vermillion of all places!! The location of some of these stores is baffling. Hasn't anyone ever heard of location, location,location? It takes me an hour to get to Aquatic Technology. Probably 2 to get to Salty Critter. I am going to cry now.

lori7973
05/13/2005, 09:47 AM
I here ya... .it takes me 2 hrs to get to SaltyCritter also... but worth the trip.

I was just at Aquatic Technology on Weds... I did not care for the service and the place was just a mess!! I have never seen a store that had stuff just all over the place.. looked like one of those discount thrift stores that old stuff just piles around. I was disappointed needless to say. However they have a massive fish selection and it appears that the fish are healthy. Some things were alittle pricey, but not as bad as other places such as Aquarium Adventure.... now those prices are absolutely crazy!!!

MDM Aquatics is awesome and the owners Mike and Danielle are wonderful people, they have a nice selection of healthy corals, not heavy on the fish, but they do have some.

Rick, North coast aquatics in Amherst is a great place... you will be treated well.

And if you want to take a drive to the Youngstown/Niles area... you can come visit Rich and sometimes me at Professional Aquatics on rt. 422 in Niles, OH . It is a small place but the prices are unbeatable!!!