PDA

View Full Version : Prizm Skimmer Mods anybody?

Devil Man
04/26/2005, 09:51 PM
ok now i cant even search the RC now, cause its soo busy. anywho, is there anyway or ways.. to mod this skimmer to be better? i did buy the the prism pro upgrade, so that helps to get the surface skum, but i want more smaller bubbles or something? thanks :rollface:

Devil Man
04/26/2005, 11:30 PM
i guess this one hasnt been heard of huh?

Devil Man
04/26/2005, 11:57 PM
or its to late, :lol:

apl111
04/27/2005, 06:56 AM
Not much IMHO the pump that comes with this is too small. I owned a Prizm Deluze. I moded it but my Remora blows away the Prizm. Basically you get what you pay for. There is an airline mod that you can do a search for it. I did that mod. The skimmer is a nightmare to dial in, every day in my case I had to play with it.

chris79
04/27/2005, 10:17 AM
one good mod i have found for the prizm is to go over to the trash can, open the lid of the trash can and toss it in there.

4ptbuck
04/27/2005, 11:22 AM
Take a look here... http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7365

Easy cheap mod that I did last night.
Looks like it'll work well.

Devil Man
04/27/2005, 07:19 PM
haha, chris i have been thinking about that mod. thanks for the link that looks nifty.

Devil Man
04/27/2005, 10:25 PM
what the he!l i keep doing this double posting crap its Pi$$ing me off!, any who anyone else have any more ideas, i was thinking about doing some air stone mod, with one of those lee's or whatever wood air stones. hope to induce more micro bubles, but i just dont think that there is enough time in the chamber which is the biggest defect of the skimmer. im thinking of a CPR. any thoughts?

Devil Man
04/28/2005, 11:27 PM
bumpy

masson
04/28/2005, 11:32 PM
Some type or air pump and diffuser. Bigger pump? Bio Ball mod? Ive never seen a prizm so I am just naming mods for everything else :)

Devil Man
04/28/2005, 11:57 PM
well i dont think that there is a way for a bigger pump. the bio ball mod, i have been tryin to find that one but i can find how to do it?

revrenhex
04/29/2005, 12:06 AM
I was able to get my Prism to work as well as my remora ever did. The key was to have a rock solid water level. Once you got it tuned in, you have to keep your water level 'EXACT'. Set up an overflow, and a sump - that helped alot. It would fill the prism once a day with medium colored tea, with floating gunk.

Devil Man
04/29/2005, 12:17 AM
yeah i get some nice colored green tea in mine too, though it takes a while i have yet to fill it. i have the same level in the main tank, where its at. so the remora isnt that much better?

apl111
04/29/2005, 06:27 AM
The Remora is much better than a Prizm. I get black mud out of it all I ever got out of my Prizm was tea colored water. And you know what it doesnt mater what the level of water is in the tank. I dont have to adjust airvalves all I need to do is clean the collection cup. Dont kid yourself the prizm is nowhere near the class of a remora.

Sceadu
04/29/2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by apl111
The Remora is much better than a Prizm. I get black mud out of it all I ever got out of my Prizm was tea colored water. And you know what it doesnt mater what the level of water is in the tank. I dont have to adjust airvalves all I need to do is clean the collection cup. Dont kid yourself the prizm is nowhere near the class of a remora.

AMEN BROTHER!!

Hobster
04/29/2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 4ptbuck
Take a look here... http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7365

Easy cheap mod that I did last night.
Looks like it'll work well.

Can you post the pictures to this site? Can't view them on the linked site if not a member.

Thanks

Devil Man
04/29/2005, 01:09 PM
I cant i dont know how?

Devil Man
04/29/2005, 08:06 PM
bumpie, for more info if anyone has any thoughs

Sceadu
04/30/2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Hobster
Can you post the pictures to this site? Can't view them on the linked site if not a member.

Thanks

Not sure if this will work or if Im doing some kind of picture theft but here goes..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/scead/prism_mod1.jpg

Hobster
04/30/2005, 09:31 AM
Worked great! Thanks.

Oh, Oh is that the picture police knocking at your door?:lol:

Maverick27
04/30/2005, 04:25 PM
I gota say, the Prizm skimmer is a good skimmer, does pretty good for me in my opinion. No ammonia or nitrites ever built up. It skims a good amount of green tea colored water also, but i don't think you need much more of that depending on the type of filtration you have set up. My skimmer with the deluxe upgrade works very well. But my tank is 30gal. and it is good enough for me. If you can save up to get a better performing skimmer i would do that. You can try the mod we seen in those pics, but save the money up to get a better skimmer down the road. It's a good starter skimmer until you can afford something better. I probably won't upgrade mine until after i get some metal halides so =)