PDA

View Full Version : any tips on siliconing?

puckbs
04/26/2005, 05:52 PM
I have an old 55 that i'm going to use as a sump/fuge, the silicone looks pretty shot so I would like to redo it, or at least patch it up. Has anyone done this?...any tips?? Thanks in advance!

MIKE NY
04/26/2005, 07:42 PM
yea, I have done it a few times over the years. I use a razor blade and carefully remove as much of the old dried out silcone as I can. Then I would use a good quality aquarium silcone and lay down a nice thick bead along the seams just like calking a tub or window. This is the messy part, but works the best for me. I use my finger and run it along the bead to create a nice smooth seam. Follow the directions for drying time and then do a wet test....fill the tank and look for leaks, if there are any just add silcone to the area.

good luck

Tampa Aquarium Service
04/26/2005, 07:46 PM
Another good tip is to keep a cup of water close by. When your ready to run your finger over the bead, dip it in the water. It will keep the silicone from sticking to your finger and it makes the bead spread out much nicer.
John

dwturpin
04/26/2005, 07:59 PM
Keep in mind that silicone will not stick to itself. You need to remoe all the old stuff. I think they make a silicone remover that I would use after taking off as much as possible with a razor blade. Good luck.

cali_reef
04/26/2005, 10:18 PM
You can tape off 3/8 - 1/2 inch from the corners to keep the finished bead nice and clean, make sure you peel the tape off as soon as you are done smoothing out the silicone. The cup water and some paper towel are essential for a clean job.

puckbs
04/27/2005, 11:19 AM
wow, really good tips....thanks, much appreciated!