PDA

View Full Version : 3rd post w/ no luck please help clowns

Lunchbucket
04/25/2005, 08:00 PM
ok i have treated w/ multiple antibiotics...NO LUCk...it ISN'T ICH. just got done w/ a 6wk hypo treatement and the tang w/ the ICH shows no signs and is back in the reef

there are spots (opaque) on the fins and nubs on the body...not sure what to do or what it is. thought it was a fin fungus or brook. i have done 2 formalin baths for 45min. the clowns looks PERFECT after the 1st bath but hte next morning the male was back to looking "nubby". the female gets the nubs sometimes and they go away.

here are some crappy pics...the best i could get in the QT tank

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3944DSCN1565-med.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3944DSCN1563-med.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3944DSCN1560-med.JPG

please help!!!!
Lunchbucket

oama
04/25/2005, 08:39 PM
I missed the other posts, but...

If not Crypto, then it must be Lympho. Your fish got herpies :(

generally incurable. But the fish can fight it off with good water quality and good diet.

oama
04/25/2005, 08:41 PM
However, the tail/fins looks more like fin rot, also...

So you may have multiple things going on.

Lunchbucket
04/25/2005, 08:52 PM
well it got it DURING an antibiotic treatments. never shown signs before.

it is in a QT that is prolly less than optimal...i want to get them back in the reef as SOON as i can. they will get better water quality in there.

so is this something i need to

stop doing formulin baths
treat w/ antibiotics (they have been through a round of nitrofuazone (binox) and erythromyacin)
i'm on the 3rd dose of antibiotics.

so what should i do? the fins don't look torn just opaque spots on them.

here are the other threads

1st one a BUNCH of stuff...the 2nd one is a good summary- http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4737196#post4737196

2nd one http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=572558

PLEASE HELP

thanks
Lunchbucket

Kelmen
04/26/2005, 01:30 AM
If Lympho, dunno there is any medicine for it. But based on my reading, the fish can self recover from it. As one stated above.

Else it may be ich or the marine velvet.
I have a post in this subforum, got a reference URL inside. Very good for the above chking and curing. chk it out.

Lunchbucket
04/26/2005, 08:46 AM
kelmen - thanks. but DEFINATELY NOT ICH. WAY bigger spots. they look almost like horns. they are not super close to the body like and ICH spot would be. the almost taper like a "cone" shape off the body. they stick off the body more they don't look like salt grains.

if it is lympho then big deal i can have them heal up in the reef right?

why would i have opaque spots on the fins. this stuff is almost exclusively on the fins. NO ragged edges, tears, or "melting" of the fins. just some "gunk" on them.

to keep them in the qt or transfer them to the reef for complete healing?

thanks again
Lunchbucket

Steven Pro
04/26/2005, 09:36 AM
I would leave them in the quarantine tank, because we are guessing the fish have Lymphocystis. I agree with that educated guess, by the way, but you never know. It could be something else contagious. You are safer making sure this is cleared up in quarantine.

Lunchbucket
04/26/2005, 03:23 PM
the tang was with them for a couple weeks when the male showed the signs. it has been like 3-4wks like this. i NEED to get rid of it.

any suggestions?
formalin baths?
antibiotics?
tons of water changes?

i'm thinking a lot of 5-10gal water changes for my QT (30gal) tank

Lunchbucket

Steven Pro
04/26/2005, 03:31 PM
If it is Lymphocystis, it is a virus with no known treatment. You could try soaking its food in garlic and/or beta glucan in the hopes of spurring a stronger immune response, but no guarantees that will work.

Lunchbucket
04/26/2005, 03:34 PM
i've been soaking in garlic extract (health food store) and zoe.

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
04/27/2005, 03:33 PM
yo some help anyone???

Lunchbucket

oama
04/27/2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by oama
...it must be Lympho. Your fish got herpies :(

generally incurable. But the fish can fight it off with good water quality and good diet.

All the real help there is availible.:(

Lunchbucket
04/27/2005, 08:13 PM
well...dang

so CAN i put them in the reef yet?? i want to get them back into the tank and get the QT tank out of our sparebedroom (2bedroom apt). i want them to be happy again

so can i add them back in?

they look WAY better totday.

Lunchbucket

Kelmen
04/28/2005, 04:44 AM
Another possibility maybe is parasite like isopod. But dunno how to verify this. Dunno freshwater dip\bath will loose them or not, based on reading, need to use thing like forcep (spelling?) to remove it.

Try Dr. Ron, I believe he can give more input if its parasites.

Lunchbucket
04/28/2005, 09:32 PM
i thought about an parasite but they really aren't that big. pretty small...and the tang never had them when he was in w/ them

i'm thinking i'm gonna do a 12-15gal water change and leave them a day or so and then put them back into the reef to heal/normalize.

if it has been this long w/ NO ill effects and has gotten no better w/ treatment i am assuming it isn't bad. also the tang never recieved anything from them

Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
04/29/2005, 03:13 PM
well they are acclimating to the reef for 30min via drip in a bucket. they look AWESOME today. so i am guessing it is due to water quality...as i did the 12gal waterchange last night.

hope they like thier home in the reef once again and the tang doesn't get too ****ed they are in there w/ him now

thanks...hope i don't need more help
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket
05/01/2005, 11:30 AM
been in the tank for 2days now...all is well. no signs of ANYTHING wrong and they look happier then ever

Lunchbucket