PDA

View Full Version : zooxanthellate question

jpsk8man
04/25/2005, 07:01 PM
this is prolly such a simple answer to this question but...
quick questiong guys out there, zooxanthellate is somethin i seen in a book that you feed to certain types of corals is this the same as zooplankton? please specify for me what exactly zooxanthellate is. thanks
~ a NooB ~ lol

bertoni
04/25/2005, 07:05 PM
Corals host symbiotic single-celled algae, called zooxanthellate. The coral provides food and protection to the alga, and the alga provides food back to the host.

swims withthe fishes
04/25/2005, 07:06 PM
zooxanthellea is a photosynthetic bacteria that lives within the corals, this is what makes a coral photosynthetic.

bertoni
04/25/2005, 07:21 PM
Hmm, interesting:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9030511

So I can't really say whether they're algae or protists.

jpsk8man
04/25/2005, 09:21 PM
so this is like a natural occurance? or do you have to speed the process along by adding something to the tank?

xian
04/25/2005, 10:06 PM
So I can't really say whether they're algae or protists.

Algae are protists...except for cyano thats Eubacteria

so this is like a natural occurance? or do you have to speed the process along by adding something to the tank?

As was stated before zooxanthellae are symbiotic with corals. More specifically they are endosymbiotic. That means that they are inside of the coral's body Just as a lichen is an algae living inside a fungus zooxanthellae live inside corals. Certain corals do not have them such as carnation coral and sun corals but most do. They also live in the mantles of tridacnid (giant) clams.
You don't add them to the coral they are "born" with them. Phytoplankton on the other hand are free living microscopic algae that are considered good food for filter feeders such as featherduster worms.

HTH

bertoni
04/26/2005, 12:31 AM
Cool! Thanks!

jpsk8man
04/26/2005, 10:13 AM
ah ok i get it now, thanks for all your posts, i will have some pics of my tank coming up soon so be sure to check my gallery for it.

xian
04/26/2005, 04:08 PM
Anytime and if you transfer schools I won't make fun of you;)

(Former Miami Hurricane here.)

jpsk8man
04/27/2005, 08:21 PM
haha lol:mixed: