PDA

View Full Version : Best Clownfish Pair?

npaden
01/21/2002, 02:44 PM
Well, a few months ago I lost my female Clarkii clown and the male has now changed into a female and is even more obnoxious than the last female was. Stirring up the sand, knocking frags over, etc.

I think I am going to use this as a opportunity to replace the Clarkii with a pair of nice clowns! (I got the original Clarkii with my old tank when I bought it 2.5 yrs ago)

I'm leaning toward perculas, ocellaris or skunks as these all are less aggresive and stay relatively small compared to most of the other clowns. I don't want to limit it to one of these 3, but would like to keep it along those general characteristics. (I.E. I don't want a pair of Maroons that will get huge and be even more of a PITA than my Clarkii!)

One other cosideration would be the possibility of adding a haddoni carpet anenome at some point in the future so it would be nice if the chosen clown pair would host with it if I end up getting one at some point down the road.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I haven't found a source for tank raised skunk clowns if anyone a source they are aware of.

Any pics or advice in helping me make up my mind would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nathan

npaden
01/22/2002, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm leaning toward the pink skunks, but have also thought about a color morph of the ocellaris - the Darwin, Australia ones that are black instead of orange. Even thought it might be neat to have a Darwin clown paired up with a regular ocellaris.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

Agu
01/22/2002, 11:38 AM
Nathan,

In one tank I have a pair of clarkiis with a sebae anemone. I completely agree with replacing the surviving female with a less aggressive species. The clowns share a sebae anemone and rarely venture far from the anemone.

My 180 tank has a pair of true percs and no host anemone. Interestingly enough they have not adopted a host, and they freely roam throughout the entire tank.

fwiw,
Agu

Ninong
01/22/2002, 11:49 AM
Nathan,

ORA breeds Pink Skunks (A. periderion) http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish.html so you could order through any of the online vendors who get their captive-bred clownfish from them, like Premium Aquatics for instance. Also, that guy in Dallas (Marine Center) seems to be able to come up with anything--for the right price.