PDA

View Full Version : Cannister

reed_5point0
04/25/2005, 06:08 PM
Ok My bloom is gone but the tank is real cloudy still. I have no other filtration other that an hob fuge and Skimmer so theres nothing realy there to filter. I have no room for a hob filter so I need a cannister. Whats a good one to get for a 50 gal? I need good one but not the best one.

smpolyp
04/26/2005, 01:19 AM
What type of tank do you want to have? Generally a cloudy tank is normally from the pH dropping so low that it breaks down calcium based objects or a over addittion of calcium or buffering agent. If your tank is under 45 days old the cloudy water maybe due to a natural cycle of the tank.

reed_5point0
04/26/2005, 06:51 AM
thats about right. so i should keep waiting it out? this sucks my last tank didnt do this. o well ill wait a week or two i still would like one to be able to run carbon .

weefishman
04/26/2005, 10:44 PM
I had 90 gallon reef tank for a couple years and used a fluval 404 for chemical filtration. I was pretty happy with it, reliable, relatively quiet, and easy to service.

PS it was like $110 shipped.

-Jonny

Lutefisk
04/27/2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by reed_5point0
thats about right. so i should keep waiting it out? this sucks my last tank didnt do this. o well ill wait a week or two i still would like one to be able to run carbon .

Tell us a little about your tank:

How long has it been set up?

Sand bed? Crushed coral? Barebottom?

Source of live rock?

Any live sand?

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 11:25 AM
I described it a few times in other threads. but here it is
46 bow started it mid March one I got down here.
2-3" DSB 20lbs arag alive, 20lbs of argonite
ro/di filter
80 lbs of rock, mostly hirock base
CPR HOB fuge
CPR Bakpak 2
2x96 watt orib pc's
snail cleanup crew from florida pets
YWG
Pistol Shrimp
emerald crab.
small rock with a few zoos on it.

Lutefisk
04/27/2005, 01:28 PM
It is going on the long side, but if the aragonite sand you used, not the Arag Alive, is the Southdown-like some of us have out of Ft. Pierce (or something like it) it does take an extra long time to settle down.

However, at over a month I can understand your concern.

Often, a tank will just be completing its "cycle" at this point, however. Live rock and the Arag Alive will speed that up a little.

Regardless, other than a diatom filter I don't think most filters will really clear it up. I would suggest giving it more time. What happens is that more bacteria settle on those small particles in suspension and they eventually "stick" to other pieces and stop floating around.

If it isn't sand particles in suspension it could be some weird bloom.

Regardless, other than a diatom filter, most canister filters won't really filter it out anyway.

I'm afraid that you'll just have to give it some more time.

BTW - how is your livestock doing? Have you tested for ammonia or nitrates? (determining if your cycle has completed).

Paul

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 01:33 PM
i let the ammonia and nitrite spike before adding anything other than cocktail shrimp and LR. It was clear the once the pc's arrived I got a common diatom bloom wich turned the whole tank brown and cloudy. wich grew a few patches of hair and i small quarter sized spot of what looked like cyano(red looking stuff). I used carib sea argonite. It was slightly rinsed but not well because I am limited to what i can do because i live in a 2nd story apt. i got a bag of carbon and a sponge infront of the outlet of my fuge to help a little.

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 01:34 PM
the livestock seems fine no problems noticed.

Lutefisk
04/27/2005, 02:10 PM
By "real cloudy" do you mean that you can't see the back of your tank at this point or that you can see through your tank but there definately is a noticable cloudiness?

I'm more just interested than having answers at this point.

Paul

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 02:18 PM
Ok i got the pics. one to compare. its still a little cloudy in the clear pic b/c its right after I added the base rock and that hirock is some dirty stuff, no matter how weel you rinse it. the first pic is with reg flourescents too.

Cloudy
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57429Picture-028.jpg

clear...kinda

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/57429Picture-015.jpg

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 02:32 PM
its kinda sad that I cant enjoy my YWG but I can sloooooly see a differience in clarity each day. you should have seen it about a week ago.

Lutefisk
04/27/2005, 02:37 PM
It looks like it will be fine.

My 2-cents is to give it some more time.

Paul

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 02:41 PM
yea i am never home when the lights are on most days. if i were just having to sit here everyday and look at foggy water I would have gone crazy. I got all the time in the workd just cant wait to have a perdy tank.

Lutefisk
04/27/2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by reed_5point0
yea i am never home when the lights are on most days. if i were just having to sit here everyday and look at foggy water I would have gone crazy. I got all the time in the workd just cant wait to have a perdy tank.

I hate to break it to you but waiting is half the game and half the fun with reef tanks ;)

reed_5point0
04/27/2005, 08:05 PM
O im not new, just dont have a life anymore...So this is all I got so now I must force myself to not focus on thie tank as much.

smpolyp
04/28/2005, 01:11 AM
I think a few power heads to increase the flow would help you out. From what it looks like you only have the backpack and the hang on fuge for water movement?

reed_5point0
04/28/2005, 07:21 AM
yea I am waiting on this months check to get those.

Damn Yankee
04/28/2005, 07:46 PM
Reed,you and me are in the same hole. My tank looks about the same. It's about a month old. My fish show no signs of stress either.The skimmer doesn't seem to skim,I guess there is no waste or proteins. I added a power-head which just kicked up more cloudiness. I have a DE filter which I will use tomorrow,if it works you'll be the first to know;)

smpolyp
04/28/2005, 10:03 PM
Damn Yankee and reed 5point0 since you are having the same problems let do this together. I'm sorry I am not familiar with HiRock base rock. By the word "base" I'm thinking that they are not live rocks? If so I think this is the reason for the long wait you are having. You have to remember you are starting from scratch. Not that you will have to wait this long but Walt Smith will not sell his cultured rock until it has be in the ocean for over 14 months and normally likes to wait 2 years. This is rock in an environment that has more diversity than any aquarium. I think using only base rock is more of a challenge than most people know. If you get to a point were you are feeling fustrated with this method there are other methods that are much easier. If you can come to the meetings you can see different methods that might be easier for you. Not every method fits all, so find the one that works for you.

reed_5point0
04/29/2005, 07:22 AM
yea i went the lr rout in my fowler but wanted to try the scape with baserock and seed it with lr.