PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil

Ophidia
01/21/2002, 01:44 PM
Anyone have the scoop on this? I commute 110 miles a day for work, and was wondering... does this really extend the time between oil changes? I know that it is better in the winter 'cuz it doesn't thicken up like organic and makes for easier starting, but does it really extend mileage betwixt changes?
Thx
Chris

Impaler
01/21/2002, 05:22 PM
I say use it. It breaks down more slowly than regular oils at high temperature. Example, when I was doing hot shot work in my '94 Chevy truck, I was driving b/t 350-400 miles every day. This translated into oil changes every other week. When I switched to a synthetic 40 weight, not the multi viscosity10w40, I was able to double my mileage before it really started turning color(9000-10000 miles). I noticed improved fuel mileage, better pickup from any speed, and overall better looking oil at change time.

JME
Dan

hartman
01/21/2002, 07:48 PM
Well, I use it on my 1987 Audi 4000cs Q and I don't burn anything between changes. Also it works great with diesel cars. I use only Castrol Syntec GTX 5-50, IMO the best one. And it did raise my gas mileage a few MPG, but I think the newer the car the left affect it will have.

Hartman

dgin
01/22/2002, 12:36 PM
Switching to synthetic oil in an engine that is pretty well worn could have some issues though. If your engine burns oil, synthetic will burn at a faster rate. If your engine leaks oil, synthetic will leak slightly more. I believe this is due to the better flow characteristics of synthetic. Increased horsepower, MPG, etc. are some of the advantages. I would stick to a multi-viscosity oil rather than a single weight though.

nucleuscracker
01/23/2002, 07:10 AM
i run all our cars on mobil 1. I drive about 3500 month for work (sales) and changing oil every month would suck let alone cost a bundle.

But the important thing is that you cannot switch a car that has been running on regular oil for some time now to synthetic without the risk of leaks etc.......

hartman
01/23/2002, 10:48 AM
One thing to remember synthetic oil is rated to last 15K miles. But I never leave it in for that time. I always change the oil at 12K, but every 3K I change the filter and top off the oil. This is very important, while the oil can last a long time the filter cannot. Keeping the oil clear is very important. Filter remove dirt and water which cause lots of damage.

Add I never had a problem going from normal oil right to synthetic.

Hartman

Ophidia
01/23/2002, 01:13 PM
I've run synthetic in this car before, with no consumption problems. I let it go about 10k, which is where it started to consume a little bit and it discolored a bit. I plan on going maybe 4500 -6000 on this change, and see how it goes. As my car started consuming the oil at 10k, that was obviously too long.
I was just wondering what rule people were adhering to.
Changing the filter every 3 k is a good idea-- I will do that.
It's also somethign to do with that extra 1/2 quart left over in the jug :)
Thanks for the info guys
Chris

DgenR8
01/24/2002, 09:16 AM
One more thing to add...
Before using synthetic oil in a car that has been using regular oil, be sure to remove as much oil as possible from the engine. I have been told that mixing conventional oil and synthetic oil will cause the oil to gell up into a solid sticky mess. Not good for lubrication!
I have not actually seen this with my own eyes, but the info comes from a trusted source.
Maybe I'll pick up a $5.00 quart of mobil one and mix it with some good old 10-40 to see if it's true.

hartman
01/24/2002, 09:56 AM
Well, I never had any issues with going from normal to syntec and back and forth. I never mixed it during oil i.e. using them at the same time. Normal oil change will get most of the oil out.

Here is my experience
Audi4000cs Q 1997 running syntec in it since 1993 and every once in a while when I could not get it I switched back to 10-40 normal and never had a problem. This car is still on the road today at 197K. Granted I don’t think the syntec is the only reason since I’m a maintaince freak J

2 M Benz 300TD for many years with syntec no problem both cars lived to 300K one even hit 375K before we just retired them.

I would never mix then in a single oil change since normal oil IMO cannot handle 12K before change.

Hartman