PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk

floridajhawk
04/24/2005, 12:13 PM
So as much as I love this fish I think that I might have to part ways with him because he is beginning to start fights in my tank :( let me know if your interested he is a 7 inch Australian :)

deano488
04/25/2005, 05:09 PM
come on.............. you just got that fish and it looks great. Dont get rid of it yet

floridajhawk
04/25/2005, 07:10 PM
he ate the baby anthias and is terrorizing my new potters, hes kinda big for my tank anywho

teog
04/26/2005, 11:38 AM
Im nay be interested. How much are you looking for??

floridajhawk
04/26/2005, 11:42 AM
Hey YGPM

Jovreefer
04/26/2005, 05:22 PM
Are you selling him or donating? rainforest cafe will take him as donation but they wont pay for him. we have a nice 3,000 gal looking for colorful fish.

floridajhawk
04/26/2005, 05:38 PM
def looking to sell not exactly at chromis price this guy :)

Jovreefer
04/26/2005, 09:49 PM
HaHa yea I understand that one. Figured so... just thought if he was killing everything and you wanted him out I'd give you an alternative.

floridajhawk
04/26/2005, 09:52 PM
ya thank you worse comes to worse ill do it hell look better than those ugly lookdowns in there, hes only eating my baby anthias

Jovreefer
04/27/2005, 03:36 PM
Look downs are gone man... were going to more colorful and small fish now.

TigerWoods
04/27/2005, 03:45 PM
Josh you should check out this site before you buy fish.
Harlequin Tusks are only recommended for Fish only tanks.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=380

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20050118201131/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/large/p_75891.jpg

cschweitzer
04/28/2005, 08:18 AM
Tiger...I know someone who has had a 5" tusk in his reef tank forever and has had no problems whatsoever. Not one coral and not one fish touched by his tusk. The thing will sit at the top of the water and eat out of your hand, he is so tame. Recommended to use caution, because some have ill-temperments and are not happy in reefs and will show this. They sure are beautiful fish, though.

TigerWoods
04/28/2005, 08:51 AM
Sup! I know people that have had red flame hawks that dont eat shrimp. I had a puffer that was the same way and wouldn't bother a hermit or coral...but I kept him well fed...its not the norm though. I'm not sure if I would keep another puffer or a non-reef-safe fish in the reef tank again. Good luck guys!

cschweitzer
04/28/2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not going out and buying aggressive fish either(I love my corals, inverts, and my fish). Just thought I'd mention that it is regularly done with some success. Not saying it is the best move. I might try it out when I get a 300+gal reef system running(hoping tomorrow, but more likely a couple years from now), but not in my 55 or my 75. Wait!!! Maybe I could use my 20 gal...no, probibly not the best idea for big aggressive fish and corals.

gearhead
04/28/2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Jovreefer
Are you selling him or donating? rainforest cafe will take him as donation but they wont pay for him. we have a nice 3,000 gal looking for colorful fish.

where are you at? i know someone that will have a blue lobster that will need a home this weekend.

justinzimm
04/28/2005, 09:00 PM
The tuskfish at work learned how to remove hermits from their shells by beating them against rocks! He was relentless and killed probably over 100 crabs.

Justin

floridajhawk
04/28/2005, 09:04 PM
ya so mine likes to eat tiny fish like baby anthias, but he doesnt eat my shrimp and does not mess with my corals at all so contrary to liveaquaria and their genious material they are compatible just watch out with ur inverts but they will not harm coral.

TigerWoods
04/29/2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by floridajhawk
ya so mine likes to eat tiny fish like baby anthias, but he doesnt eat my shrimp and does not mess with my corals at all so contrary to liveaquaria and their genious material they are compatible just watch out with ur inverts but they will not harm coral.

Thats exactly why you should read whats on the website 1st. Liveaquaria says they will eat inverts and not harm corals. Like I said check the site before buying then you wont be selling it the next day and losing $$.

Here is their info:
"They are a wonderful fish for a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) aquarium. They are typically shy when at a small size, but will in time gain personality and confidence as they mature.
A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding places and moderately aggressive, active fish such as Angels, Tangs, and smaller Triggers is an acceptable environment. Keep only one specimen per tank. Although they will not bother corals, they will eat any small crustacean such as snails or crabs. "

I dont see where it says they are compatible with a reef. :strooper:

floridajhawk
04/29/2005, 09:20 AM
ehh thanks I do know how to read contrary to popular belief didnt lose money either I got him off of a trade and he had pop-eye at the time. That went away and now im trading him for some other things currently with a really great guy who understands not all fish act the way liveaquaria states as much as beginners would love to believe. My fish knowledge is fine reading books that are in the library not statements by online retailers :) concern appreciated though