PDA

View Full Version : Misbehaving fish

Marcelog
04/24/2005, 08:49 AM
OK, I've got a Koran Angel, that up until I brought home the frags from Concept3 (thanks again), was a model fishy.

Now all of the sudden, he's nipping at the corals. I've tried sending him to timeout, but after pouting for a few minutes he goes right back to nipping. I've threatened to take away his Nori, but it still hasn't curbed his behavior.

I'm currently mixing up some extra water, and will be moving him temporarily to a separate tank while I get ideas on what to do with him.

So any ideas?

Marcelo -

inda14s
04/24/2005, 10:42 AM
get rid of him

Reefdrumz
04/24/2005, 11:21 AM
yeah, I think might agree.. Either start a new tank, or sell him. It doesn't sound like he is going to be a good fishie.

eastonreef
04/24/2005, 11:52 AM
cant teach an old fish new tricks... he has to move

Nuhtty
04/24/2005, 03:27 PM
If you havent altered his feeding habits it means he is probably not nipping because he is hungry now...more likely he just discovered what he has in front of him.

No other way to protect your corals than to adopt him to another home.

Sorry

Marcelog
04/24/2005, 07:13 PM
Well, normally on Saturdays, the tank takes a day off from feeding. It may have been a bit of curiosity mixed in with a little hunger. It could also be he saw me setting up the holding tank and he got nervous.

I kept my eye on the tank all day via the web cam, and he seems to be keeping away from the corals.

I'll continue to keep my eye on him for the next day or two and if I catch him nipping (I've got the cam recording) he goes into quarantine and I'll offer him up.

Marcelo -

concept3
04/24/2005, 08:38 PM
Or, you can let me know if your corals don't make it, I'll give you a replacement!!! :)

trippyl
04/25/2005, 05:00 PM
What web cam are you using? How much was it? Does it have it's own IP address?

Marcelog
04/25/2005, 06:21 PM
D-Link DCS-5300W. Don't remember what the cost was. It has it's own IP address, but I have it behind my firewall.

My biggest problems with it is you need IE in order to view it, as well as needing to install a plugin.

Marcelo -

shilo_1
04/25/2005, 07:00 PM
Were the corals sps ?

I have a coral beauty that was also always a model citizen. I added 2 small sps frags and instantly the CB started nipping at the polyps. I moved the frag to a QT and posted on here. A few people said it could be that the CB is not actually going after the polyps, but rather the slime that is produced by the coral.
I placed the frags back in the tank in a basket for a few days, and now the CB is back to being a good fish again. Just a possibility....