PDA

View Full Version : Can get rid of micro bubbles!!

BOKER420
04/22/2005, 01:54 PM
I have a new 75g tank that i had drilled with a 1 1/2 inch overflow out the back. it runs down into a small tupperware container inside of a bigger one. i've tried putting a sponge in the waters path and a filter bag but neither of those worked. how can i get the micro bubbles to go away? Any help would be apprieciated.

TimD
04/22/2005, 02:07 PM
Any way to build a series of over-and-under baffles in your makeshift sump?

SaltyMist
04/23/2005, 02:42 AM
It took mine some time. I used a micro bag, but it was getting to be a pain taking it off, and changing it so I ust left it off after about 2 months, I no longer have any microbubbles in my tank, but my return pump is in the back right corner and my overflow retrurn water outlet s in the left front corner so that it a lot of room before the bubbles get to it. I also use an elbow of aobout 45 or less degrees at my outlet overflow wo that the water is usually 3.4 under the sump water.i I've also drilled a whole throuh the two pieces of pipe (the elbvow and thte conector) so that air can escape that way as welll..

I've always heard that new tanks take a while before the microbubbles go away anyway.

EdMiller
04/23/2005, 11:08 AM
I got this idea from a previous thread here. After a couple of modifications to the original design, this is what I ended up with. It works extremely well. There are no bubbles at all going into my sump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52841drain_plumbing-med.JPG

masson
04/23/2005, 06:13 PM
Smaller micron bags. What micron were you using?

BOKER420
04/23/2005, 07:10 PM
1 have a 500 or so on there right now but it still doesn't fix the problem.

ed
i tried something like that but it created too much back pressure and caused my bulkhead to leak. the guy who cut it is an idiot and chipped the **** out of it. i'm thinking about just putting a bead of silicone around it and try that design again.

spazz
04/24/2005, 02:04 PM
what is your salinity level at? if its higher than 1.23 than i would lower it a little. the higher your salinity the easer it is for the micro bubbles to show up in your tank from the sump.
jmo